Flood Insurance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

OK, so if you can't count on your government for laughs, what good is it?

Got a piece of mail from FEMA today.

First, please understand I live in Texas. Yes, the Texas with the record heat, brush fires, and drought. I live on a hill. The nearest body of water to me is my pond, and acre...well more like 3/4 acre with the drought.

FEMA wants to sell me flood insurance for only $129 a year! You gotta love 'em! :lol:

Walt

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like me, I live on top of one of the biggest hills around, at least 175 feet above the lake. very unlikely we will flood out, if we do the biggest part of Knoxville will be gone.

3. hankdog1

hankdog1 New Member

My inlaws live on top of a mountain and their flood insurance is high because get this they live in a flood plain. The worest flooding they ever got was when the washer broke in the basement. Amazing how people don't have a clue about how water flows.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well I live right on the banks of the Brazos (means arm in spanish) River. the highest water I have ever seen here is the winter we moved in when the water was lapping at the top of our banks as it was pouring onto the other side of the river which is very flat and very agricultural. this past year FEMA did raise the flood stage level about 3 to 4 feet. everyone that owns property along the river and most of the major creeks got a statement that this was to occur and if you wanted to get affordable insurance you needed to do so before the change in standards.

one or two people along the river (and most definitely in the flood zone) with very elaborate and expensive house all went up for sale in the same week.

5. rast

rast New Member

I was going to take a home improvement loan a few years ago. I was turned down until I got flood insurance or an elevation survey showing I was above flood plain. Insurance was $800, survey was $800. Insurance had the gall to tell me I should get it to help keep the price down overall. I told em all to go fly a kite.