Florida Beekeeper

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by opiewan, Jan 11, 2012.

1. opiewan

opiewan New Member

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is David and I am fixing to start my second year of beekeeping in Middleburg, Fl. I have had my ups and down.

I started last April with 3 hives, did splits that brought me to 6, then had 2 go queenless and they wouldn't accept a new queen, so I merged them back. Was placing some pollen patties and syrup on them this past Sat and noticed that the one hive that I have at another location was nearly empty and had wax moth larvae crawling around the upper deep. Those boxes are in the freezer right now and I hope be able to intrdouce the frames back into splits I am planning on doing with the spring buildup.

Have ordered three more hives and 2 nucs so hopefully I will have ~12 hives by July.

2. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

welcom to the fourm man....we got alot of good people on this fourm to answer any question you can ask.....i have yet to stump any of these guys.....there are several florida beeks on here....i dont know where Middleburg is....im in sumter county florida (central) Rast is near me...Crackerbee an Americasbeekeeper are in the tampa area....Zookeep is further south near sarasota....there are more but those are just a few....se ya around

3. opiewan

opiewan New Member

Middleburg is about halfway between Jacksonville and Gainesville. I work in Gainesville.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome opiewan: :hi:

You have found a friendly beekeeping forum here. Questions are usually answered fairly quickly and like 2kooldad says you have some keeps not that far away that will be able to provide valuable local information. Glad you found us! :thumbsup:

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

6. rast

rast New Member

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a big howdy from Texas and Go Gators! (ps Crackerbees general location was at one time my home town.... long long ago in a galaxy far far away).

8. opiewan

opiewan New Member

Thanks everyone. It is definately been an interesting road and I am looking forward to more adventures and some more stings. I am a member of the North East Florida Honey Bee Association and my mentor in this has hives a 1/4 mile down the road from my house, so he's pretty much alwasy available.

Luckily for me, my office is only about 250 feet from Jerry Hayes and David Westervelt's office and that's a great wealth of information as well.