Florida flows

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Zookeep, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Still after reading everything I can find I still have not figured out when the flows are down here, I know that here the spring flows not as intense as up north, we have a dearth just after the spring flow, April and may are the driest months of the year for us, but do we get another flow after the rains come during the summer here? after looking in my hives the past few days I can tell the foragers are bringing in alot less now and the builders inside are not drawing out much comb, are the hives done building till spring now down here? hard to keep bees in the 1 place in the country where the usual time lines dont apply. well at least for lawns summer means 2 cuts a week cause everything is growing so fast, do we have alot of wild flowers at the same time? we I had a old timer beek around here I could talk with.

2. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I have not been in my hives since the 23rd of May. They are steady bringing in pollen and seems to be quite a bit of it. I will be going in this Saturday to take a look.

This will be my first summer with bees and I do not know when and if the flows end down here. I do know that it is completely different from my house to a fellow beeks house 25 miles away. I had stuff blooming two weeks after his had quit.
    Robert

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

so no1 has any clue about down here in southwest florida? I'm not even sure when to take honey here, are the hives done for the year storing mass quantities or will there be more flows , got the hives for the most part up to snuff now Im clueless on what comes next its frustrating

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my days of keeping bees in Florida is so long ago I cannot really give you much help. I would think either Rast or Americasbeekeeper is your most reliable source in regards to this question.

in much of the southern US the dearth is a combination of lack of water and excessively high temperatures. most all plants cease the secretion of nectar when the temperature gets too hot and the bees quit flying since they know there ain't nothin' to get anyway.

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

In other words when there is not much flying out of the bees from the hive I will know that most of the flow is over, is this correct. If so than anyone should know about when the flow is over if they have been monitor the fly of the bees when an flow is on. Glad each day I am watching my ladies do their thing.

kebee

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

With all the rains we have had lately--like 2.5 weeks of almost non-stop rain, there should be plenty of moisture for the plants to take off. Of course the weather does have to improve enough for the bees to get out in force.
    Barry

7. tommyt

tommyt New Member

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/honeybee/

Take a good look around here
    also your worst moth will be August
    right now you should have cabbage palm
    and maybe mangrove the UF page will
    have the whole list

8. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

You beat me to it Tommy. Melitto files is the best source of what should be blooming. It is still dependent on rain and nature. In Alachua County there is still not much for the girls even with the rain.
    I though you might like to know deer graze through our farm every day, and plenty of other critters. Diane and I have been taking pictures every day and sending the "Creature Feature" to friends and the USFBG staff. If you ever come up please don't mention hunting to my wife. As the neighbors said at our welcome - police don't come way out here so do what you want. Two of the closest neighbors pulled their deer stands out of our land when she was away. I am not digging any holes if she goes shooting hunters.