Flower pot swarm trap.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Yankee11, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

does anyone have any of those biodegradable planting pot swarm traps or know the size/deminsions? I think i have found a place to buy them at
    much cheaper than the bee supply places. I've read you can spry them with Thompsons Water Seal and they will last many seasons.

Here's what I am looking at. Screw it onto a thins piece of plywood and attach it in a tree.

http://www.novoselenterprises.com/products/single.asp?ID=581215

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I just use a 5 frame nuc with 1 old frame in it, works wonders

3. Capt44

Capt44 New Member

I use a 12x11 inch pressed fiber pot to make small traps
    I use a 16x13 3/8 inch to make the large traps.
    I get them from http://www.greenhousemegastore.com
    I give $45.00 for 32 of the smaller pots and put them together with screws to make 16 traps.
    I give $90.00 for 32 of the large pots to make 32 traps.
    Note: I have not caught 1 swarm using the store bought queen pheromone scent.
    I have caught 11 swarms using Lemon Grass Essence Oil.

Attached Files:

4. gustavo_m_2000

gustavo_m_2000 New Member

how do you remove the bees from there to the Nuc hive?
    I have a similar setup!

5. LazyBkpr

LazyBkpr New Member

Removing the bees is the issue with the flower pot traps.. In essence, you have to do a cut out.. Its NOT that big of a deal to do it, but if you use a hive body as a trap, all you need to do is swap the frames over to your hive...
    Then again, a hive body as a trap is heavy if you intend to put it UP in a tree, and it gets quite a lot heavier when it is filled with bees.. So, basically you need to decide if you want to deal with the weight, or deal with the rubber bands!!

6. gustavo_m_2000

gustavo_m_2000 New Member

I was going to buy the Nuc and setup as trap but the sells persons insisted of me getting the trap instead, it would have saved me the transfer task!
    and to tell you the true I didn't have an idea how fast this trap was going to work since I was waiting for April swarms!

my trap has a piece of plywood screwed as backboard, I guest that unscrew and then dump then in the nuc, attaching some of their own comb with rubber band to the wax frame, I am new beekeeper and I don't have old frames with empty cels!
    thanks for your reply

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Pretty nifty