Flowers for bees

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by HedgerowHoney, Feb 13, 2010.

1. HedgerowHoney

HedgerowHoney New Member

Hey peeps!
    Just wondering what flowers u have outside your hive. Please leave a reply.

P.S I got one hive ( I started last year, getting another this year) and bees overwintered fine. They had buttercups,ivy,nettles,apple blossom and a lot of garden flowers.

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Welcome to the board HedrowHoney, glad to have you here! :wave:

We have lavender hyssop planted and the bees just love it. We also have yarrow, lemon balm, bee balm, peppermint, catnip, and a multitude of trees that bloom (wild cherry, wild plum, hackberry, tulip poplar, etc) and the big veggie garden that feeds our family quite a lot of fresh produce that we see the bees enjoying. We live in the middle of large cotton fields that the bees work and nearly two acres of wild blackberry/dewberry brambles. When there is nothing else blooming we often see the bees on the kudzu blossoms too but we don't encourage the kudzu, that stuff will take over a fair size city if you let it!

3. XLB

XLB New Member

hey there, and welcome to the forum. i hope you have a good time here, these are some awesome folks that are willing to answer any questions you have about beekeeping.
    any way, welcome to the board.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Here I have lots of dandelions and clover in the yard, although I did not actually plant them ;). Besides that, the bees enjoy the catnip, raspberry bushes, privet hedge, and black locust. Later in the year there are asters and broccoli gone to flower. I have an apple tree, but the bees don't seem to visit it - I assume something better (locust?) is blooming at the same time.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

We have a lot of wild stuff here early in the season. Today the spring beauties are out in number and the hairy vetch has just started to bloom. A bit later on the landscape will be pretty much covered with indian paint brush and blue bonnets. The largest flow pretty much coincides with the dew berry, black berry and youpon (it's a wood shrub) bloom.

welcome...