flowers that affect honey crystallization - any list?

Discussion in 'Organic Beekeeping' started by riverrun, Jul 30, 2012.

1. riverrun

riverrun New Member

I've been coming across this so frequently, but never does anyone mention *which* flowers affect crystallization faster than others. Maybe there's not a huge list? Maybe it's just some observation between a few like aster and clover... I don't know.

I am so curious to understand and learn how nectar affects honey. Is there a thread or site I can learn about this? Or a book?

2. riverrun

riverrun New Member

any thoughts as to which nectars encourage faster crystallization? anyone? :grin:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Wish I could help, but I have no idea.

Goldenrod is well known for quick crystallizing. Tupelo takes about the longest. What comes in the middle, I don't know.

4. riverrun

riverrun New Member

Just came across that fall honey crystallizes faster - must be cuz of that goldenrod.

Also read that clover honey lasts longer than some.

Other than that...??... I find it surprising so many articles and people warn about nectar affecting it so greatly yet no mention of *which*... how funny! Maybe an old book would have the info..?

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

Aster honey cristalizes fast, very intense flavour, golden rod/aster mix excellent for creamed honey. (South - Central Ontario)

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Canola (rape seed) is supposed to be fast at crystallizing. Heather honey (an English specialty) doesn't quite crystalize but it sets to a jell-like consistency.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

the 2 fastest crystalizers I know is cotton and commercial sunflowers. They will go to sugar in a mater of days. A lot will depended on what temprature you store your honey at. and how much you heat and filter the honey.

8. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Cotton honey crystalizes very fast! I have 10 hives on the farm surrounded by cotton fields, they pack the honey in but man does it turn quick. I am going to try finer filtering this year to see if it slows down the process.

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The ultimate book on honey was written by Dr Eva Crane Honey: a comprehensive survey was published in 1975 and is 608 pages long. It only deals with honey but is extremely scientific and not easy to read cause of all the Latin and scientific terms. She published an other smaller book on honey A book of honey Dr Eva Crane which at 193 pages is easier to read and understand. I think they are both out of print now but can be found on line.
    What causes honey to granulate? Honey is comprised of 5 different types of sugars. Sucrose, Glucose, Dextrose, Fructose, and Levulose. Only 2 of those 5 sugars will granulate. The factor in how fast honey crystallizes is the % of the different sugars in the honey. The other factor is temperature, the optimal temperature for crystallization is 54 Deg. F. Honey kept at temps above 90 Deg. F. will stay liquid but exposure to long periods of heat will deteriorate the honey. Honey placed in a freezer will also stay liquid.
    Some of the fall honey crystallizing in the frames quicker is due to the cooler temperatures at night and the bees only heating the brood area where in summer the whole hive is kept warmer

10. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Mesquite is very fast as well....

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a shorter list would be to compose a list of honey that DO NOT crystalize to readily.

as a side bar recently I had a short discussion with my father in law in regards to crystalization. I had informed him that honey set into the freezer would never seem to freeze and that the same honey set into the refrigerator would freeze fairly quickly. he quickly gave me a small 'physic' lecture into the making of silicon crystals and informed me that all you need to do to stop crystalization is to slow the movement of the newly forming crystals to zero to halt crystalization. essentially the newly forming crystals must move around to find a location where they fit into the crystal chain. freezing halts this movement.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Please tell your father-in-law that I appreciate his having supplied an explanation. :cool: And, as Iddee says, "Welcome home". We're all interested in hearing about your adventures up north.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec. when i read your post i thought i had found the answer to my problem with honey crystallization, but mine is crystillizing in the freezer.? Welcome back buddy. Jack

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

riverrun, where are you located in the united states?

add basswood to the list,
    also 2 pdfs about crystalization and speeds of various honeys with lists of floral sources:

crystalization 1

crystalization 2

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Those were two very nice summaries of the topic, specially valuable because of the included lists of plants and their honey's tendencies to crystalize. Thanks. :thumbsup:

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

you are most welcome ef!

a very interesting and good topic/discussion thread for the honey's each of us knows and crystallizes (or does not crystallize as quickly) from the floral sources in our keeping environments. tecumseh did make a great point as well, it is much easier for me to answer what honeys do not crystallize!
    :grin:

17. Dbure

Dbure New Member

I am thinking Tupelo honey does not crystallize, or if so it is extremely slow. This may also be why it is more expensive than most other honeys. :confused: The Tupelo tree can be found in the deep southeast around Florida and Georgia.

18. creekside

creekside New Member

I find Canola is the fastest out my way ( Alberta ) for crystallizing. And some years there is an awful lot of it planted. Also I don't like the honey from it.

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Last summer (2014) my grandson had several of his hives near cotton fields. He had a lot of trouble caused by the rapid crystallization of the honey. The process lead to a rise in the percentage of water in the honey (the crystals go out of solution and leave the water behind) which caused the remaning non-crystallized honey to start fermenting. Before he realized what had happened, the fermented honey ruined some of his other honey: he had extracted different honeys and they were mixed together.

20. javfra

javfra New Member

we get faster crystalitation with florwers like blosson orange, rosemary and lavandel www.aceitecsb.es