flowers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

just a quick question, I used to keep bees up north in new york years back so being here in Sarasota florida now ( southwest florida) was wonder if theres ever a time when somethings not flowering in this little part of heaven I live in? I realy never actualy gets cold enough for very long for the bees not to be flying around year round.

the Zookeep :confused:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rast or AmericanBeekeeper would be the best reference for your question. from what I can recall of central Florida (way to many years ago to admit) there were dearth periods when things were extremely thin generally associated with the dry periods of the year.

3. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i am north of you in sumter county....there have been a couple of derths this year for me....one was right after the cabbage palm bloom died down not long ago....didnt end till the elephants foot bloomed....i spose if you live in a urban area like tampa it might be diffrent....i live in the sticks tho :/

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Those were good to read...thanks :)

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Thnx alot every1 for the info, since it does not seem like the bees will be slowing down much during the hole year I think Im gonna use those great nuc plans on the forum (thnx Dcoates) and put up a few swarm traps all the time and maybe start a few new hives off the 2 I have now soon