Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
with 3 it isn't that much hassle compared to the buying equipment and having it last less than 6 months. I found some things in the office. Hoping to locate my OAV unit

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have that problem some times, I put something in a place I think I wont forget till I need to find it again..lol..I have bought many doubles and triples of things I couldnt find till i ought the replacement..

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have done that too. But this time I can't afford to. No more buying for the bees right now. I have a mortgage and it's been a long hot summer of no good paying work, just very inexpensive service calls and bee work, and bee work costs as much as it pays usually.

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
so I can't find my OA Vaporizer. I know it's here somewhere. A new fogger was half the price. Ordered it. I have to deal with the mites. Did you rinse yours after use RoadKillBob?

I did get a refund of 90% of purchase price when I returned the first one.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I didnt rinse mine and my buddy upstate has the same one and his is still working, I dont know how long he had it, I just left mine out with no jar on the bottom so the alcohol just evaporated..

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ok, mine came today but it's raining now. will let it dry the next time, I pulled the jar off then put the yellow jar back on to "protect" the vulnerable parts, and it was probably wet with OA alcohol when I put that jar on

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Now that the fogger was replaced, today I found my OAV burner, lol.While hunting for a chevy part I think I'm reordering. It's here somewhere, $20 and I can replace.

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It is good to have a backup. I could get one of those car chargers and not have to lug a battery around

·
Registered
859 Posts
ok an update..I treated my hives with OA vapor from the fogger and its still working, after use I found the plastic cylinder that the pump mechanism sits in holds a good amount of the oa/alcohol mixture even when taken out of the jar, there is a ball at the bottom of the cylinder that if you push up lets out all the mixture back into the jar and then rinse the pump mechanism with water and let air dry..I think the alcohol that is being held in that plastic cylinder is the issue causing the pump to fail, im sure it degrades the plastic because of the long time the alcohol is in contact with the plastic..if you remember years ago the gasoline companies screwed up the mixture for ethanol in gasoline and the high concentration of alcohol dissolved all the floats in car gas tanks and the gas company had to pay for repairs.. I also brazed an extension onto the nozzle of the fogger so now I can get it several inches into the hive so all the vapor stays inside...

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I dumped it out and dumped it out and dumped out some more, not sure if I rinsed with water but I might have, my memory is not as good this year. and then I let it air dry on my work bench. will retry in a day or 2 as we have nice warm weather and I want another treatment before the solstice (when queens tend to start laying around here)

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Bumping this thread too

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
@roadkillbobb I got lucky again. I think I am going to go get a portable battery charger.
DSC_0169.JPG

·
Registered
859 Posts
I am going back to the oxilic acid vaporizers, I wasnt happy with the results of the fogger, I dont think it treats as well as the vaporizer...

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That is the consensus here as well. I've ordered one of the jump starters recommended by @camero7 and it should be here today, found my old vaporizer. The fogger system, in addition to buy a fogger once a year, is just too dangerous. We are in drought, and I have had flames shoot across a hive entrance before.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I never had flames shoot out, but I dont think it gives a proper dose of the oxilic acid in the hives, I used the fogger last year and lost my hives to mites through the winter, I did miss my last OA treatment in febuary due to shoulder surgery, but I treated several times in the fall and that should have been enough...I have 2 hives upstate that were swarms I caught, I will treat them a few times using the vaporizer and will see how they make the winter,
I also made 25 pounds of fondant the other day to bring upstate and feed them through the winter..

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I only treated each hive once, in December, it was all I could manage, but that flame shooting was exotic.

My battery charger came yesterday while we had the greenhouse roof off, I didn't get mine treated yet. I suspect my winter bees will have hatched by the time I do with this wounded finger. But all the mites will be phoretic and much easier to kill

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Did I post what happened? Helper leaned forward on the step ladder, it tipped, he grabbed a rafter, I threw left hand out to stop the ladder from hitting me but my keys were in my hand. Chevy key seems to be what got me, just the back of it so not deep. Couldn't figure out what got me til I saw blood on the back of the key, where the ring goes through. Realize I have an antique truck

Getting better as long as I don't stretch the finger. i took the big bandage off after 24 hours, (sterile pads and stretch wrap, thick, with neosporin after cleaning, and it's healing, but it will be a little bit before I try to operate the hives and the oav stuff. Raining here, lots of rain, today, tomorrow anyway. Nice I can type again... Have a good one

21 - 39 of 39 Posts