Fondant additive question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by beewitched, Mar 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. beewitched

beewitched New Member

I've been looking at recipes for fondant. I didn't know there were so many variations. Some add vinegar,cream of tartar, or glycerin to a granulated sugar and water base. I ran across some that use powdered sugar instead of granulated, shortening or oil and were a no-boil version. My question is... are any of these additives bad for the bees? Are there some that would be better to use than others? I already know that I intend to add an herbal stimulant.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Cream of tartar may slow molding. The others may not hurt the bees, but may not help them either, so why use them?

I would not use powdered sugar that has corn starch added. Read the label before using it.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No to the powdered sugar!

4. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

No, to the creme of tarter too. You can just use apple cider vinegar with the same results.

5. beewitched

beewitched New Member

Thanks for your help. I'll stay away from the others and use one of the recipes that have vinegar,granulated sugar, and water listed as the ingredients.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good decision. Always better safe than sorry.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

After making many batches of fondant I have decided it's not worth the effort. If I had one or two hives ... maybe.

I have decided that one ounce of corn syrup per pound of sugar works just fine. Of course there is the small amount of water...

The result looks like this:[​IMG]

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

Joe, that looks good. Would you share your recipe?

9. Joe

Joe New Member

This may be helpful:

http://www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/PENotes/FondantSpecification.htm

I don't have access to my fondant "notes" but for me, the important things were:

1. Keep the sugar/water stirred until it goes clear. I started with a 5:1 sugar:water mixture and added one ounce of corn syrup per pound of sugar.

2. Use a basting brush and water to wash sugar crystals off of the side of the pot while bringing it up to temperature.

Here are some other photos:

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/js06807/Fondant/

I started with more water than necessary but I avoided having sugar hardened on the bottom of the pan.

It's much easier to buy a 50# block of "Baker's Fondant"!

Baker's Fondant is made with sugar and corn syrup.

10. jim314

jim314 New Member

11. beewitched

beewitched New Member

Thank you for the recipe and photos. I'm going to try it out. I'm always in the kitchen cooking anyway and if it saves me some money in the proccess that'd be a bonus too.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The only thing to watch out for is the corn syrup. Bees will need to be able to take cleansing flights if you use corn syrup. The fondant I use/buy has only 3 ingredients!

[​IMG]