Food Inc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sundance, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Sundance

Sundance New Member

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Thanks Tatanka. watched the preview. i think it's available on TWC Movies OnDemand.

3. Sundance

Sundance New Member

Good.

The biggest point I got was how something so innocuous as buying
    food impacts so very much.

Another scary part was Monsanto's control over seed stock via
    the GMO avenue. A long time seed cleaner was put out of business
    by them. Seed cleaning may very well be a small business of the
    past unless we do something about it.

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

The kids and I watched it as well as another one I think was called "The Future of Food". Both of them are very informative movies, especially if you haven't been thoroughly acquainted with how our food gets to the grocery store.

You can watch Food Inc here http://www.watch-movies-online.tv/movies/food_inc/. We don't normally watch a lot of stuff but this was EXTREMELY good information to have. You can watch "The Future of Food" here http://www.watch-movies-online.tv/movies/the_future_of_food/, it was also very good. Both of these are on Youtube as well, but in shorter pieces.

When you have a few producing for many it's amazing how polluted and political an industry will become.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Do you really want to know what is or is not in your food? Do you really wish to know that your government has sold you out to monsanto and union carbide?

sometimes ignorance is the only thing that gives me an appetite anyways.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

it just makes our own chickens and veggies taste that much better! Nowadays we have diabetes killing people in record numbers and at younger ages than ever before. We have more people being diagnosed with more types of cancer than ever. We have people turning up with high blood pressure and heart disease more than ever at younger ages and in a wider and more diverse span than ever. The only common denominator in all of those groups is food which tells us that the vast majority of those illnesses/deaths are totally preventable....... sure we wanna know what's in our food!

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at our last bee club meeting I did some 'brazos valley farmer's market devil eggs'... quite yummy.

ingredients eggs from Mr Harvey's free rangin' chicken, just a bit of Jame's pickled watermelon rind preserves, a dollop of cheap mustard from the grocery store (ok that part didn't come from the farmer's market) and an extra large dollop of my honey.

8. Charles

Charles New Member

We try and visit the farmers market when we can and we get our beef and pork from a local farm but for everything else I think ignorance is bliss :roll:

Tec, I love deviled eggs and those sound exceptionally yummy :)

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yes they were and of the two dozen eggs (48 halves) none returned from the bee club meeting.

I also love deviled eggs Charles... a picnic just ain't a picnic without deviled eggs. I consider Jame's pickled watermelon rind preserves to be the secret ingredient... it really give them this 'umm, what that' taste.

10. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

I just returned from a meeting with a doctor to assess my son's ADHD which six months ago was rated as severe. Simple diet changes have downgraded the condition considerably and when the doctor found out that we garden and raise our own meat he told me that if we were to put a little more effort into it and eat only what we produce ourselves the problem would likely all but dissappear... I kind of miss having my own milk cow around and now I have a good excuse. :thumbsup:

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

CP, if you want to really watch it disappear, remove 3 items from his diet. Go through every containerized food item you have in the house. Get rid of any that contain sugar, chocolate, or any added preservative.
    Use honey for sweetening everything.

Within 30 days, you will not believe he is the same person.

12. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

That's pretty much what we did. We eat pretty healthy any way but now we're trying. :thumbsup:

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you are really going to try it, just remember that one bowl of cereal with bht added to the packaging, or one tootsie roll, ETC. will set him back a week. There is no such thing as "It's just a little, it won't hurt". It will hurt very much.