$ for a frame of bees?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jan 21, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

At the bee school meeting last Tues. my 85yr. old mentor ask me what a frame of brood with bees be worth $ wise.I didn't have a clue,he figured around 3500 sealed brood on one side of a full frame. So if the frame was 3/4 full of brood on each side and the nurse bees on the frame with them, he would be selling about 2 lbs. of bees. He said he thought there were around 3500 bees to a pound and that he wouldn't take less than $20.00 for a frame like that and thought that would be a bargain. :confused: What are your figures and thought's. Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I get 15.00 per frame, whether it is brood, honey, or pollen. I figure 5X15 plus 25 for the queen makes a hundred dollar nuc.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Might also be worth more up North than down South, especially in the beginning or end of the season.

I'd be willing to pay $15 if I felt a need for a frame of brood, but probably not $20 unless I had a very tough situation and no other hives to pull a frame from.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

This is for a long time club member, he only has three hives and said two of them are a little weak and he wants to give them a boost this coming spring. Knowing Howard (my 85 yr. old buddy) he's going to give to him anyway (free) if he can spare them, if not i will. He was wondering what they were worth. :confused: Jack

Ps. this guy was a commercial beekeeper at one time (Bill Baldwin) anyone know him, a real nice man.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I guess you could check around? Iddee $ number sound about right to me.

The potential $ value of one frame of brood at the right time of year is likely much greater than the $20 figure in the performance of a lagging hive. The $ value of 2# of bees, in the form of a package, should be almost one and a half this figure.

On the other hand some folks brood you might not want to buy, beg, borrow or steal.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

$15 or $20 seems about right.

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

If you figure a healthy single-story 10-frame deep hive would sell for about $150, I'd say $15-20 bucks is about right for a frame.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

$15 to $20 sounds about right to me also, a good friend with a spare frame of brood for nothing sounds even better though. Why is it that most beeks are of a giving nature?