for the 1st time

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ok so Im up at my hives and I have been having trouble with this 1 hive, 2 times I have had them raise a queen now and the genetics just were not worth it, poor laying patterns, very slow build up, hives still just 2 boxes tall, now right next to it is a real boomer, 5 boxes high and I was a bit late getting up to them they were full and back filling the 2 deeps at the bottom with honey, yep there were swarm cells, ok found the queen real fast ( like that happens often) and I now going to find the queen in the trouble hive pinch her and move the swarming queen and 2 frames of brood over into it, ok after looking way too long with no luck I moved the frames in and the queen in a cage in between the 2 brood frames and started looking again for the old queen, then after a bit I found a ball of bees on the bottom board and was thinking there just a bit of fighting, nope the bees I had moved over found the old queen and balled her up and killed her, sorry no pics I did have the camera but was so amazed at what I was watching I didnt think about it till it was all over, after 2 days i released the new queen and they were very happy.

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Gary just posted a study a couple of weeks ago about bees being able to determine the quality of the queen. They knew It didn't help that she crawled in between the 2 frames of new to the hive bees.