For the northern beeks

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by RE Jones, Feb 16, 2012.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Just to show you all of our southern bees are not lazy. Took this video this morning at my TBH, sorry about the quality. There were so many bees coming and going, I could not get as close as I wanted and had to use the zoom. Orange, yellow and white pollen coming like crazy.
    These ladies have not slowed down. Since October of last year they have built 20 bars of comb and are still going. I will be making a split off of this hive if they do not slow down.
    Robert

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

3. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Looks like the file did not attach, I will try again shortly.

4. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

[​IMG]

Click on the picture for the video.
    Robert

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It worked that time Robert. :thumbsup:

On that TBH, are there 3 entrances above that landing strip? (In the video it looked like 3 clusters on the strip.)
    I can see in the background you're familiar with langs, any preferences? :mrgreen:

6. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Yes, there are three entrances on the hive. I had all of them blocked off except one and opened them all up about a month ago. They closed one of them up until about a week ago, now they are all open. Just came back in from the yard and they are bearding on the TBH.
    Perry, I have not had good luck with the lang hives so far. I am waiting for bees to start collecting at work so I can try some more langs.
    I only have one five frame nuc going right now and they are starting to build in it and doing real good.
    All of the swarms that I have put in a lang have dwindled down and I have had to combine. I think I need to start them all off in a nuc and then install in a hive. I do not think any of them I have gotten so far were big enough to take off in a hive. I'm not blaming the lang hive, I just do not think I had a big enough swarm for them to take off in the hive.
    I guess this is part of the learning curve.
    Robert