Forage distance

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Ray, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray Member

Does anyone know of any studies done on this subject?
    I have seen claims of absolute maximums, some as far as 7 miles.
    There are a lot of variables:
    Wind, humidity, and atmospheric pressure.
    Hills and forests.
    Would bees pass up poor quality forage close to home, for better stuff farther away?

I guess another way to put it is; how far apart should your out yards be?

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Bees will pass over close nectar sources for more desirable ones. the bees seem to factor in the amount of nectar, the sugars in the nectar and the distance and time per trip when deciding on nectar sources. Remember the bees will collect from a multiracial different sources. The bees even change during the day as flowers begin and cease nectar secretion. The closer the source the less work it is for the bees to collect it.
    The 7 mile was on a queen distance mating study.
    The distance between yards? if you move bees from one yard to the next you want it far enough away so the bees reorientate to the new hive location and not drift back to the old hive and yard location. You want to have the bees so they are not competing for the same forage, other wise you may as well keep them in the same yard.
    2 miles apart for the bees to reorientate. for forage you need to look at what is available in the area. when a major crop is in bloom it may be able to support 3 hives per acre when not in bloom the ratio will go down the area may only support 1 hive for every 5 acres. Some of this is by trial and error.

3. Contender

Contender New Member

I heard more like three miles is what I believe is on the Hive Tracker Google Map indicator.

4. camero7

camero7 Member