foraging bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 11Nick, Aug 23, 2011.

1. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

Did you ever have a question that you just knew the answer to, but you still had to ask?
    There is a long-forgotten piece of property about 1/8 mile through the woods from my house. I am interested in going to this long-forgotten, abandoned property and strategically planting a sizable bee garden. However the bees would literally have to travel an 1/8 mile through the woods (or over the woods) to find it. Would they even find it, or would they simply continue to forage in the (closer) farm fields where they have quicker, easier access?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

only a 1/8 of a mile away... I think they would find it if you planted anything that was attractive.

foraging (as far as I know) is determined by smell and sugar content. therefore anything you plant that has flowers that produces a higher sugar content or a nice smell will get the bees attention.

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i belive...an this is just from observation...that they will find it no matter what...they dont ALL go to one place...there always seem to be scouts or whatever ya wanna call them out searching for new sources of food...just if they have a big farm with a large crop in bloom they will focus on that instead of a small (in comparison) garden...but there will still be some bees snoopen around in it.

4. frankh

frankh New Member

If you plant it, they will come.