Formic Acid and Wax

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

In October of 2011, at the recommendation of my state beekeeper, I used Formic Acid pads to treat for varroaon my 3 hives.

The instructions say to not use the product with the honey supers on the hive. Mine were off.

This year I wanted to switch hive configurations. I currently run 1 deep/ 2 mediums per hive. I want to change that to just 2 deeps. Those 2 mediums that I take off the three hives would then become 6 fully drawn medium honey supers.

Since the wax in those now potential honey supers went through a round of treatment are they now not eligible to be honey supers? If so I'll just turn those six mediums into two new hives consisting of only mediums.

Thanks!

2. Omie

Omie New Member

I don't think formic acid remains in wax once treatment is over. It's to avoid formic from getting into the honey while the open cells are being filled.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The new Mite Away Quick Strips work by releasing formic and they can be used with honey supers on, so I don't think you'll have a problem.

4. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

perry is right, its safe for wax and honey supers as its naturaly found in honey anyways

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Formic acid is the substance that produces the "sting" feeling from ant bites. It is volatile and as it evaporates inside the hive it serves to eliminate varroa mites. It doesn't become absorbed in the wax but might taint the honey as it is collected because of its water solubility (as Omie said).