formic acid storage

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by addam, May 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. addam

addam New Member

I would like to know what is the best way to store formic acid.
    As it's said that chimical reactions occur at ambiant temperature, I wonder if it is possible to freeze it or just put it on the frig?

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Google "formic acid storage" and you'll get a wealth of information.
    KNowing its corrosive qualities, I would add, keep it only in small amounts and in strong non-breakable containers.

3. The Bee Guy

The Bee Guy New Member

I have formic acid that I store in the plastic container it came in.
    I store it at room temperature.
    It comes in a plastic bucket and each sealed package holds to patties, enough to treat 1 hive.
    I keep my room temperature around 74 degrees F. in the summer months.

4. SkyeFeetham

SkyeFeetham New Member

Thanks for the advice I was thinking to store this formic acid but i have a problem I don't know how to keep them away from these pests around my place. Need your suggestions please help me.

5. addam

addam New Member

Hi SkyeFeetham,

I bought 4L of formic acid and because I have only few hives, I put it in small plastic containers that are filled around one third only (the equivalent of what I need for one treatment). I then put them in the freezer ... As the freeze tempereature of formic acid is lower than the temperature inside my freezer, the acid stays in liquid form. It is OK for me as I was only looking to slow its decomposition.

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The containers need to be sealed as any way of the gas to escape will allow evaporation. This is where temperature comes in, if the seal isn't good and gas id allowed to escape. The warmer it is the faster it will evaporate.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I would try to keep in mind that plastic containers, when frozen, become very brittle. Knocks and bangs from other items in the freezer could crack the plastic and release the formic acid. I don''t have a really good suggestion since your in a catch situation: store at room temp--decomposition, freeze--risk breakage. The only practical solution I can think of is that you're best off only buying as much as you need for immediate use, that way you don't have to store any.:rules:

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Have had a plastic jug in the shed for a few years and looked at it the other day still all there. the shed temp drops -20C in winter and Rises to 35C in the summer. as long as it is in a sealed container It is not going anywhere. formic in a stopped container is like gas in a jerrycan as long as its sealed so the gas vapors can't escape when it heats up the vapors are released but when the temp returns to normal the vapors condense back into a liquid.

9. addam

addam New Member

I'm using soda bottles and we are already using them to freeze the extra milk of our goat and they still remain undamaged.
    As an extra precaution, I put the bottles in another big plastic container and this container is in its turn put in a big plastic bag :)
    As of why I'm buying more than what I need for one treatment, it is all about the availability and price: here (Quebec), so far, I can only get 4L or 20L of formic acid from local suppliers.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Addam, it sounds like you are taking adequate precautions. Good man :thumbsup: