Formic Acid treaments

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by srvfantexasflood, Sep 24, 2011.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Has anyone used Formic Acid on their hives for the treatment of varroa mites? I need to treat for varroa and formic acid was suggested. I am apprehensive about this. Last year I used Mite Away strips. Any thoughts?

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

The formic acid does not accumulate in comb or honey like some of the mite killing formulations; also does not appear to result in mites developing resistance to it. It does usually require a number of applications though and has to be done within a range of acceptable temperatures. Formic acid is available in prepackaged application blotters and also in bulk liquid you can use to wet your own pads. You might also do a search on oxalic acid treatments which have similar action to formic but will work in colder temperatures.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

'Mite Away' brand in its various forms (pads, strips) *is* formic acid treatment.

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Oops! Sorry, Omie is correct; I was thinking CheckMite (coumaphos)

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you might want to check out Randy Oliver's article in the ABJ (Sept 2011) tittled An Early Summer Test of Mite-Away Quick Strips. There appeared to be some useful information there in regards to problems some folks though they encountered in the prior use of Mite-Away Strips.

just casually it appeared to me that Mr Oliver's half dose was just about as effective as a full dose. <I am not endorsing improper use of the product or the product itself.

6. Bee n There

Bee n There New Member

Just headed out to put the last treatment of formic acid on the hives 6 goes of 25ml 3-4 days apart. A fir bit of work and messing with it. But it is alot cheaper and has some advantages over the chemical strips.

Likely do some mite rolls later in the week when I pull the pads off and see how well it has worked. and compare it to a couple hives treated with thymovar.

Formic is pretty nast stuff though so caution is needed.

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

isnt formic acid what the bees use for venom in their stingers ????

8. Omie

Omie New Member

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It is the venom in ants, not bees.

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

what do the bees use ???