Foul brood spores

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tefer2, Dec 25, 2010.

1. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

I'm interested in a used Dadant 20 frame stainless extractor that is for sale. The beek lost all his bees to Foul Brood about 10 years ago. How would I clean this to make sure all the spores are gone ?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With stainless, I wouldn't worry about AFB. Just wash it down good with soapy water and rinse well with clorox water. The chlorine will kill most bacteria and the spores will wash off.

If you want extra insurance, go over it very lightly with a torch, only brushing it with the flame. You can scorch hives the same way and remove AFB spores.

3. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

The bleach water was my first thought also. I just don't want any of that stuff in my operation. Keeping bees alive is hard enough without adding this junk to the mix.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Keep in mind, there are AFB spores in 99% of the hives in the U.S. It doesn't cause a problem until the conditions are right for them to multiply into numbers large enough to cause an outbreak of symptoms. It can happen to anyone at any time. The chance of a rogue drone bringing it into your hive is greater than that extractor.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

exactly right iddee on the spores in hives. I would go out on a limb and bet the 10 hives didnt die from foul brood. especially if it was a old time keep. Around here the old timers lose a hive they usually blame it on foul brood. They go off smell and they always lose them in the fall. so its a given its foul brood. but my theory is goldenrod in a hive crashing for other reasons

6. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

Iddee, where are you getting that statistic about almost all hives having AFB spores in them?

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

From 30 years of reading, I have seen it many times. As for exactly what articles and when, I have no idea.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

about like a coyote if you make it a pet and give it a rabies shot you cant turn him back into the wild he wont get rabies but can be a carrier of rabies and spread it to other animals