Found on the bottom of the bottom deep

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Sep 16, 2013.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I was going through my hives checking for shb and looking to see how much they have stored up for winter. One of my hive stands is the fabricated style from Dadant. It has a removable tray that I try to keep vegetable oil in but the floor of the bottom is sloped downward toward the \screen above the tray. That gives the bees a lot of extra room to practice their comb building skills. Or at least that's what they did this year. Didn't find this last fall when I checked all the way through just prior to cold weather. I thought it was interesting. I couldn't see any closed or capped cells and everything looked empty. Any reason not to scrape it off? I guess one reason to leave it is they'll probably just build it back wasting more energy etc.

Attached Files:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Funny how they drew it cross ways to the bottom bars. When I find this on any of my hives (not cross wise) I leave it and think of it as "ladder" comb, making it easier for the bees to crawl up onto the frames.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

1. I would remove it--it'll only give you trouble later on.
    2. Having said that, notice the angle of construction--they didn't just extend the frames--for a reason winterization. These "extra" constructions help the bees channel the air inside the hive according to their analysis of the weather and the winds. They don't know that you will help them (and make them unnecessary) by reducing the entrance and or possibly other winter preparations of your own.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Are you making your own deeps? The first pic looks like the frames don't come far enough toward the bottom of the box.

It may just be the angle of the camera.

5. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

​Yeah, I have started making my own but this one is a factory one from Dadant and so are the frames.

6. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

I don't know for sure if its really hurting much but possibly gives shb & wax moth something to salivate over. As you mentioned, they will likely build it back up in time.

​...JP

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

are both frames and deeps from dadant. I have to be careful I have several different companies I bought my hardware from. Frames and deeps will vary a little from one to the other

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Yes both frames and deep are from Dadant.

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Iddee is on to something if you look where the bottom of the frame stops against the side of the supper the frames are short of being flush with the super bottom. this can also be caused by using frame rests in a supper when the top rabbet is not cut deep enough to accommodate them.
    the bees generally build the ladders up from the bottom board to the frames. the bees have not built any thing off the bottom board. I think that they might not like what is on the surface of the bottom board. the bottom board is built sloped to the center where the screen and oil trap is located. Why? what is their reason behind this? The bees chase the SHB down hill better?
    The comb is built using more propolis than wax so the queen will never lay in it. Its a ladder and how to build a bridge from the frames to the bottom board using the least amount of resources? Honey Comb pattern. I would guest the distance between the screen on the bottom board and the bottom of the frames is 1 1/4" which is a little far for them to jump. Leaving the ladder comb will make it hard to pull frames out of the hive to do spring inspections.

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wayne, i would say what ef said........and also, if you look at the ladder comb compared to the screen bottom, that's where it is built? way too much bee space makes busy bees building all sorts of ladder comb for the reasons ef mentioned. :grin:

11. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Appreciate all of the replies. According to my notes and photos of past inspections, this is the very first occasion of anything like this being in any of my hives. This deep was rotated to the top deep position last fall and I made no mention of this being on the bottom then. So i don't know why but for some reason this years bees decided they needed some type of structure to fill in the extra space where the bottom slopes downward.

12. Cupcakus

Cupcakus New Member

I'm curious why it's so dark in color? All the comb my bees build is always white until something they put in it stains it.

13. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Because it is a ladder system built using more populists than wax the bees never intended it to be used for anything other than gaining easier access to the frames.

14. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I know bees do what bees do whether it's what the books or forum says they should do but wonder why this is the first year a "ladder" needed to be built?

15. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

To many probable answers But are the bottom supers reversed from last year as Iddee said it looks like the frames do not come down flush with the bottom of the super, extra space created the need? Bees in some hives land on the front of the hive walk down and under the super edge and up the inside of the super before crossing to the frames. other hives the bees will land and walk in on the bottom board and walk up the back or side walls to the comb. others will build ladders on the bottom boards under the frames so they can get to the comb. Why the build it is because the space between the bottom board and the frame bottom is greater than 3/8 inch or the bee space.

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks to me like the bottom board is angled into the center.