Found wood for hive bodies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daniel Y, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I have had my eye on a dumpster at work where they throw away all sorts of wood items. In fact it is where I found the wood to build my first two deep bodies and 3 medium supers.
    The other day I got 110 feet of 1X12 out of that same dumpster. very clean with not a lot of nails or holes in it. I am not sure just what all I will make from this. I want to make a second hive, at least a couple of nuc boxes and a couple of yankee nuc boxes to sell bees with in the future.

At any rate thought I would share that if you can find a likely location it is worth keeping an eye on. IT took over 6 months total but I have found enough wood from one dumpster to make over a dozen hives now.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Right on! Great find.

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nothing wrong with that. I do it all of the time, with the little upswing in housing around here wood is getting plentiful again. two hives a month from one dumpster is a grand thing.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Deep supers! being used wood it will have had the time it takes to shrink to it's true size now if you rip it to 9 5/8 it wont shrink smaller. If your supers are cut from new wood at 9 5/8 they then tend to shrink more and when that occurs The bees loose there bee space. So when you go to take a supper off, the bottom bars are propolised to the frames below and pulls them up with super. In my opinion the most important measurement in beekeeping is the bee space, followed by the length of the worker bee. Is thous 2 measurements that Langstroth used when designing the modren hive.

6. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

ApisBees, Very good point and one that is standard among woodworkers. Buy your wood in advance and let it set in your shop to climatize. THis wood is very aged and there is little concern of shrinkage. New wood can shrink a surprising amount.