Foundationless Frames

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rail, May 26, 2011.

1. rail

rail New Member

Anyone on the forum using foudationless frames?

Charles

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

not me, I like wax foundation myself.

What is your question though, might have an answer.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Welcome to the forum. This last year I have pretty much went foundationless on most my hives. what are you needing to know

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Yep, I have foundationless in my medium honey supers. The first one is being drawn out right now, looking good.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm switching over to foundationless at an incredibly slow rate. Still using foundation in honey frames that I extract, though.

6. rast

rast New Member

I cheat and use about 1 1/2'" of starter strip. Down to the first wire.

7. rail

rail New Member

Installed new package on May 16th, in eleven days they have consumed 3 cups (8oz ea.) of 1:1 sugar water and what was left of the feed shipped with the bees.

They are active and foraging, notice the colorful pollen on their legs. Drawing comb on the frames (5 of the 8 frames). I would like to stop feeding them and let them forage for their hive.

Should I continue to feed or let nature do her thing? I don't want them dependent on me!

Charles

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Not entirely foundationless but here is an idea I read about so we will see where the bees take it.

I made a few frames up that puts a 2" strip of foundation at the top of the frame with just a small protrusion of wax below the divider. According to what I read they will put almost exclusively honey in the top panel and build drone comb below which can be cut out for drone trapping. It is an outlet for their creativity and keeps them from putting drone comb and burr comb where you dont want it.

Frank

Attached Files:

9. Omie

Omie New Member

My bees are now building big drone sized comb in their foundationless frames but are filling the big cells with nectar! :thumbsup:
    That's one good thing about drone comb- dual purpose!

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I kind of like that idea.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rail writes:
    Should I continue to feed or let nature do her thing? I don't want them dependent on me!

tecumseh:
    might I guess you also don't want them DEAD?

too many variable to answer you question directly and the stickler is that with a package of bees they have no EXTRA resources built into the box, so a mistake or misjudgement here mean the new hive dies. the situation is somewhat more complex since I would guess you have decided to go foundationless.... so they now must also produce ALL their own wax to make a go of things.

I would feed them liberally (3 cups sounds a bit miserly to me but perhaps you are in a good place and experiencing a good season) until they were a box of bees. I would look inside on occasion to see what stores are present there and not so much leave their food resources to chance or guess or hunch.

12. rail

rail New Member

tecumseh,

I do not want dead bees! They are taking sugar water very slow, but they are also building beautiful comb in the foundationless frames! That's why I am asking should I let nature do her wonders and not intervene?

Charles

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

My thought would be to keep feeding them. They will let you know when they have found a better source and they will stop taking the syrup. Right now they are using it to draw out comb and the easier you can make it for them the better. :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3 cups in 11 days would be what I consider them not taking it. I would stop feeding and watch the hive closely. If the growth slows, then I would resume feeding. The flow here will end within the next 30 days. At that time, they will need to be fed again.

15. rail

rail New Member

The Magnolia trees are in full bloom and Clover, Wild Blackberry and Roses.

[​IMG]

16. rail

rail New Member

Iddee,

What is flowing here??? Wow!

Charles

17. rail

rail New Member

Seventeen days since package install, only feed total 4 cups (8oz. ea.) 1:1 sugar/water. Capped cells, stores and brood. Three frames being drawn as in picture, another two are drawing out also, other three are empty (eight frame deeps).

How does progress look?

[​IMG]

A little burr comb.

[​IMG]

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Get rid of the burr comb. Otherwise, it looks good.

19. rail

rail New Member

26 days since package install, 21 days since queen cage removal, 11 days without 1:1 feed.

Frames 1 thru 5.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looks good. Nice pic of the queen on the first pic, too. I would say you have a successful install. I would resume feeding, tho. They look a bit light on stores.