Frame Arrangement in a Newly Installed Nuc

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, Apr 13, 2013.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I'm installing a 5-frame nuc in a 10-frame deep today. Temps in 60's today, but cold front will move temps in only 30's and 40's the rest of the week. So they'll need access to (non-syrup) food for at least a week to 10 days. But they'll also need room to cluster. Would it be better to leave the pollen and honey frames where they are (transfer to the deep as a unit) or to insert a couple of frames of drawn comb on each side of the brood nest? I do have some extra honey in deeps I can give them. Thanks everyone. This is my first nuc.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Makes good sense to me Litefoot...

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The bee population will be the defining factor to what should be done. The bees will only raise brood in the area they can cover. So honey pollen and brood must be with in the bee clustering area. Expand this area as more bees emerge but not before there are bees to cover the extra space. Anticipate the needs of the bees and when they will need more space. a frame of brood once the bees have emerged will provide enough bees to cover 2 frames. Capped brood will emerge in the next 9 days, any open brood or larva will all be capped in the next 9 days and will emerge during the following 9 days. Be mindful of the population in the hive plus the brood that will emerge over the following 9 and 18 days, planing your visits and manipulation accordingly

4. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

if you're expecting cold temperatures you don't want to separate the brood from the stores, which is what you'd be doing by inserting drawn comb on either side of the brood. Keep things as they came in the nuc box and add to the outside. The bees will re-arrange as they see fit.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

place extra honey frames on either side of the 5 frame nuc in the 10 frame deep.
    what pistol pete said. " Keep things as they came in the nuc box and add to the outside. The bees will re-arrange as they see fit."

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I agree mostly. Keep the nuc together until the cold has passed. Then add to the brood area. The bees will rearrange honey and nectar, but not pollen.

7. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Well the truck with the nuc's broke down in Nevada. So no new bees until Monday...right in the middle of the incoming storm....and I'll be out of town. Lynn will have to package the nuc. Okay, I'll keep the nuc frames together.

Iddee, you mentioned putting a super I'm trying to get cleaned out on top of the packaged nuc and I had this crazy idea of putting the super...with the attached bees on top and do a newspaper combine. Then I thought about the cold and the clustering issues this would create. So I think I'll not try it.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Why? Put the stronger one on the bottom, cover both with a blanket or something, and they will help heat both.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I agree mostly. Keep the nuc together until the cold has passed. Then add to the brood area. The bees will rearrange honey and nectar, but not pollen."

and:
    "Put the stronger one on the bottom, cover both with a blanket or something, and they will help heat both".

:thumbsup:

that's what i would do litefoot, and have done.

10. Loptr

Loptr New Member

I think we got the same nucs. The trailer snapped an axel so they bought a new one, then 350 miles later the engine blew and they bought a new truck. Talk about an expensive run.

Loptr

11. litefoot

litefoot New Member

We ordered ours through IFA. It is their first year here handling packages and nuc's. But the nuc I got was full of bees and the frames were in great condition. Due to the cold weather, we didn't have a chance to poke around and look for the queen.

12. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Update. I'm in Colorado while Lynn is at home, so she received the new nuc and packaged it in a 10-frame deep with drawn comb and a frame of honey and a couple of frames of bare foundation on the outside. She then did a newspaper combine with an overwintered super from my original colony. The original colony (2 deeps) had a top feeder added with some syrup.

My daughter came over and helped her. I'm really proud of the both of them. One problem...they decided to name the colonies, or at least the queens in each colony. The queen in the green box is named Florida and the queen in the white box is called Bianca. I'll tell her next Spring I had to "pinch" Bianca and she'll be okay with it as long as I didn't squish her.:wink:

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Some things are best left unsaid.