Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all my good fortune catching swarms I ended up with 5 more hives than I was planning on and as such am making a trip to Dadant to pick up 15 medium supers and frames. I want (need) to put everything together pretty quick and building one frame at a time isn't going to cut the mustard. What do you use to hold 10 frames straight and square while you glue and staple everything?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Hmmm...you may have to spend a little time making a jig that acts like a sleeve/stabilizer while you assemble. I squared them the first 20 or so and then skipped that step. I use wax foundations that slide in from the top and I have had no problems with the alignment thus far...

·
Registered
967 Posts
I made something very similar to the above one. I would suggest you be cautious to make the 17 3/4 dimension not too tight on your frames endbars. Frames can vary a bit from different suppliers. Make the inside dimensions such that the combined width of 10 frame end bars just loosely fit without slop. Too tight, you fight! The push through pieces only have to engage the inside of the end bars enough to keep them from falling out when you flip over.

A simple 2 inch wide extension to add height, makes it good to go for deeps.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
dan,
i now use a frame jig that i broke down and purchased either from walter t kelley or brushy mountain, and i have every tool on the planet in my garage to build one :grin: , (not g3's you tube machinery, that thing is cool!)

frame jigs are great whether you buy or build one, you will like it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts