Frame/Comb Wash

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jul 29, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don't know if anyone has tried this before? (I am sure I cannot be the first).
    I have a bunch of frames packed with pollen, some of which has some mold on it, some of it that seems so hard that I find it highly doubtful that the bees would make use of it or even be able to remove it. I really needed the use of the comb so I have tried "washing" the pollen out. I set my garden hose on jet and have begun spraying the frames for a few minutes and then letting them soak for a few hours and then repeating the process. It takes a while but seems to be working. The pollen softens up and then seems to turn mushy and washes out of the cells (to some degree). I am hoping that what is left will be easily removed by the bees if they have no use for it. There seems to be little damage to the comb and I am hopeful that it doesn't deter the bees from wanting to quickly make use of it.
    Anyone else have any experience with this?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well never washed any combs Perry, but have scraped my share of frames. I have always just put them back on and the gals will polish them up in short order.

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

Good info Perry. I have a hive that is in the process of being robbed out. If there is comb left with pollen I'll remember this. Thanks:thumbsup:

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

love it when a keep thinks outside the box. Good job Perry:thumbsup:

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Perrybee, the water spray sure did the job of flushing out the pupae and larvae from the new foundationless frame after scratching the cappings. Hadn't thought about the old pollen but I have some frames that could stand some dunging out,

thanks

6. larry tate

larry tate New Member

I have found that freezing it, letting it thaw and then hosing it works a little better than hosing freshly pulled frames. A fellow beek made a trough that the frames fit. Made a frame "hold down" strap. He lets them soak for a few days them hoses out. Claims freezing does not kill the SHB eggs. I am beginning to wonder also.

7. ablanton

ablanton New Member

So, will they hatch out in a jar of honey? That is scary. :eek:

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Doubtful, they would not have any oxygen to live. If in the freezer could be the same as hibernating in the ground until warmer weather.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I used a 110 gallon stock tank to soak frames in last year, just plain water. (wax moth larva and shb needed removed - but I didn't even see the beetles til the next morning when they were drowned.) Then I sprayed them off with the hose. Don't remember what I used for an anchor on top of the frames.