Frame holders

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bigwig, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

Anyone have any opinions on the frame holders you can get such as those available from Dadant or Betterbee?

I know some think they're a bit of a gimmick, but I'm beginning to really dislike placing frames on the ground or leaning them against the hive.

Does anyone have any alternative methods? I walked around the hardware store looking for something that would work, but had no luck. :confused:

Thanks!

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like to take a deep box with me to put them in.

Make up one of the plywood nucs to carry your smoker, hive tool, cold drink, etc. in, and when you do your inspection you have someplace to hang at least 5 frames.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

Like it. Thanks.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Like G3 says:
    One sheet of 1/2" plywood makes 4 of the easiest to make nuc boxes. No rabbet joints, etc.
    Handy for just about everything, including setting that first frame in, or the one with a queen on it to keep it safe while you go through the rest of the hive, carry stuff, etc.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Here are plans for the nucs (credit D. Coates)
    Also the layout on your plywood to maximize pieces with fewest cuts.

[attachment=1:b2nc6evw]CCF06042011_00000.jpg[/attachment:b2nc6evw][attachment=0:b2nc6evw]CCF06042011_00001.jpg[/attachment:b2nc6evw]

Sorry I can't make em any clearer or bigger (clicking on the pic will help)

Attached Files:

6. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

Thanks a lot. I did see these in another thread; they look great. I especially like the idea of having a safe spot to put the frame with the queen on it.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

plus if you need to make a split or find a swarm or need some where to sit and rest, or , or......., well you are in business also.