Frame machines

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by rast, Apr 23, 2010.

1. rast

rast New Member

I wish I had taken my camera. Word of mouth sent me to the son of an old beekeeper (now deceased). The son is 70ish.
    There were 2 machines there for cutting out top bars. The 3rd machine about 6' long was for side bars. It had 6 220 electric motors on it driving the various functions. You load about 10 - 20 cut to dimension wood stock in a feeder and it spits them the other end, continuous. They all need major reconditioning, sandblasting, painting, bearings I'm sure. He said I could have them for scrap metal value. If I only had a place to put them. All stored inside.
    Then he pointed towards another shed and told me there were about 7000 unassembled frames in there.
    As it was I came away with 36 supers with frames for $5 a box. All cypress, all unused. I couldn't fit any more in the bed of my truck this trip.
    I really think those old machines are neat and need somebody to talk me out of them, and not monetarily.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am salavating... it must be the Pavlov effect.

4. rast

rast New Member

My 76 yr young beekeeping friend and I are going to get them next week. He is planning on restoring them.
    I have to tell you about him. He knows how to make money with bees in central Fl. He has ran up to 400 hives. He has a restored antique knife blade uncapper that works great. He bicycles about 100 miles a week. Is being treated for prostrate cancer. Problem with him is he won't tell me what I should do, only tells me when I've done wrong, and quick too. He had me fill a small pollination contract for him this weekend cause his bobcat went down. I didn't want to, but he had give his word so I did it for him.
    Oh yeah Tec, I paid $50 for all.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'll double your money and be there tomorrow........

6. rast

rast New Member

Too late now.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh yer' really stickin' the knife in hard ain't ya' rast???

ps... your 76 year old buddy (I do miss them kind which I knew in some number when I roamed Florida years ago) thinks you are smart enough to figure out what to do. he also likely figures you are head strong (not a bad trait to my way of thinking) enough you may not notice what you are doing improperly.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Wow what a neat find!! If you get them restored, let me know, I'll buy some frames from ya!

9. Brooklyn

Brooklyn New Member

Did you ever get the equipment?

10. rast

rast New Member

No, I didn't get them them, my buddies wife wouldn't let him. I don't have time or space. Iddee came down and looked at them and didn't think they were worth fixing up.

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Aw man... where are they located and how much money did the guy want for them? also how big were they? I might be interrested. They sound really neat.