Frame Position Question?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Spaztck, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Spaztck

Spaztck Member

I am scheduled to do my first inspection next week. Based on some of the reading I have done on here, I have a question. When the beekeeper I got my Nuc from loaded my 10 frame hive box, he put all four populated frames (from the Nuc) to one side of the hive, with the six new frames on the other side. When I do my inspection, should I move the frames that came frame the Nuc to the center of the 10 from box, or doesn't it matter?

2. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

I'll be no help here, but I've wondered that too.

One of the packages I installed in a new hive built everything on the left side of the hive, by the entry (I had the entrance reducer on ). So, like yours, all the empties were on one side, and the fulls were on the other. To not aggravate the bees too much, on my 2 week inspections I would slide everything over one slot and insert an empty to their left - just one at a time over the weeks. They have continued to fill up the new ones I put in on that one side! Maybe they don't care - but I think in a cool or cold climate they'd want their brood to be in the middle of the hive to keep it away from the frosty edges of the hive.
    My 2 cents - looking forward to reading other more seasoned answers!:grin:

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

place the 4 populated frames in the center of the deep:grin:

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have been told that it is good to keep the honey frame against the outside and the rest of the nuc frames against that and have the bees advance on one front. Placing in the centre puts the honey frame in position three with unlaid comb or foundation on the outside of it. They have to jump outside it to push the nest that direction but perhaps they empty it instead. His idea is it splits the brood nest. I imagine the majority get placed centered and we know that works but it would be interesting to do a controlled comparison to see if there were any method in his madness.

His mating nucs are divided ten frame boxes so they share a warm wall.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

move the 4 brood combs to the center of the deep with 3 new undrawn on each side. They will draw comb faster. Even faster if you insert one of the undrawn frames into the brood nest

6. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

In the what is worth column, I placed the small swarm I caught this spring in the center of a 10 frame box....I know but it is what I had, facing South.... the bee have migrated to the Western exposure for warmth I presume and are doing very well. I will be checking them later this afternoon and try to get a couple pictures. Tom

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I notice the same thing.
    The bees here prefer one side to the other

8. Ray

Ray Member

Just to be contrary :) ; If you start with the frames on one side, the bees will draw out comb and move the brood towards the center. This will allow you to change out the frames that came with the nuc.

The last package that I hived, started building comb on the north side of the hive. I find this very strange, since the bees came from Georgia.