Frame size question...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Has anyone ever taken a medium sized fully drawn frame and used it in a deep brood box next to some deep fully drawn frames? If so, will the bees just draw out the medium frame until it is similar in size to the deep frame?

The reason I ask is I have at least 24 medium frames of honey (probably stored sugar syrup from autumn). If I do some splits into my deep nucs or into my deep queen castle I was wondering if I could use a few of these medium frames as feed next to some deep frames of brood and pollen.

If I could go back in time (last year) I would have chosen all one box size be it mediums or deeps.

Thanks!

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes you can use them in your deeps and when the spring flow comes on and they start to build comb they will add it to the bottom bar of the medium frame filling in the open space below it.

3. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

They will likely fill that space with a lot of extra drone comb. That may or may not be a bad thing. You can cull that brood (simple cut it off periodically before they emerge), as a means of trapping Varroa. Or, if this is in what will be a mating yard, you might want those extra drones flying around. Or... You could be a "natural" kind of guy, and just figure that the bees are going to raise whatever they want and need in that space, and just live with it.

-Dan

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I forgot to mention the down side to this, when they do build comb in that space more than likely it will get attached to the top bar of the frame under it. If you mark this frame in some way you can pull out the frames on one side of it and cut it away from the top bar, freeing it up so it can be removed. Otherwise you will tear it in half when removing it.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good point G3, I had never thought about that! :thumbsup:

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Mine are only going to be in the bottom like a nuc box or an 8 frame deep used as a nuc; but that is good information. Thanks G3.