FRAME STAPLES: are u happy with using 1/4 crown 18ga. 1 1/4

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by adamant, Nov 29, 2011.

1. adamant

adamant Member

it seems when they are used there are lot of staple leg showing.. should i be favoring one side when i do the side staple? see pictures..

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Re: FRAME STAPLES: are u happy with using 1/4 crown 18ga. 1

Quit centering it. Put it on the side opposite the wedge. If grooved, either side will do.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Yes!
    I keep over to one side to hit the "meat" of the top bar, both when using staples or nails.
    I still use mostly nails (old fashioned I guess) but I do occasionally shoot staples. I have the odd blowout with the staple legs but not enough to worry about.

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

adamant,
    Definitely go the side of the frame, whether you have grooved or wedge top bar.
    Brood or honey, both heavy and with staple legs connected to the air, as shown in picture No.2
    you risk ending with the top bar in you hands, and the rest of the frame in the box. A drop of good glue and 1 1/4" staple in the wood will make it a sturdy frame that will last.
    Regards

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

1 1/4" staples is what I use and yes I am pleased with the results.

You need to move over to the side, those staples did not catch anything at all.

When one does blow out the side I take side cutter and nip them off, then a screw driver and hammer to give them a little tap to counter sink the sharp edge back below the surface of the wood.

With a little practice and watching at what angle you are holding your staple gun at things will start to fall in place.

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

If the leg of the staple is where you can grip it with a pair of needle-nose pliers bend half of the leg in towards the wood (90-degree angle) and then tap it into the wood with a hammer. If the leg is in the groove of a grooved-top bar naturally this won't work...for wedge top bars or blowouts out the sides it will work. (This tip from my mentor, I'm not that smart! :D )
    Ed

7. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

A staple will hold a truer path if you put it in with the grain, 90 degrees from the way you have them. When you go against the grain the staple will follow the grain that is in its path which may not be where you intended to end. The holding power of the staple is not affected either way because it is only a temporary holding device, it is the glue which has a 10X binding effect, meaning the glue joint is stronger the the wood itself. Hope this helps.