frame suppliers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by d.magnitude, Jan 28, 2011.

1. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Hi guys,
    I just got a bunch of what I believe are Kelley frames and was a bit surprised when I compared the width (outside from endbar to endbar) to some of my other frames. They are barely 17 5/8" wide, and the inside of a super is 18 3/8" (mine, at least). That leaves a good 3/8" on either side, even more if the frame is shimmied a bit to one side or the other. Hmm, more seems like it might be a problem...

Does anybody else have these, and can you attest to whether or not bee space is violated and burr comb is built outside the endbars?

While we're at it, can you guys tell me what frame suppliers you do like and why? I'd rather heed some good advice, than have to spend a few years trying out all my options out there. I'm trying to watch my spending like everybody else, but I want my equipment to last a long time, and I certainly want it to be functional.

Thanks, Dan

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3/8 is the correct bee space and frames should have little or no movement from end to end. In 35 years, I have not found a better frame than Kelleys. No, I have never seen burr comb between the end bar and the box, with any frames.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have ran several different frames from different companies and never had a problem with burr comb between the end bar and the hive body. Remember the bees spend 99 percent of there time while they are in the hive between 2 frames. I would be worried if they are shorter than the hive body. Bees tend to build burr comb more readily between hive bodies if the space is incorrect .

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hard to beat Kelly's frames. I have made plenty of hive boxes over the years and even a little end play does not seem to matter too much as long as the end bars do not pass each other allowing the frames to move closer together. Most burr comb is between the top and bottom of frames.

5. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Good to hear. I'm not trying to dislike these frames; in fact, they're a good deal from a local supplier. I didn't think burr comb along the outside of endbars was a common phenomenon.

I know 3/8" is correct bee space, but I went back and shifted these frames as far as I could to one side and got up to 9/16" space between the end bar and wall of the super. These winter months give me time to look at and think about these things.

I'm still all for hearing more about folks' preferences for suppliers. Like I said, 'tis the season for flipping through catalogs and crunching numbers.
    -Dan

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you have that much movement, you may want to tack some strips, "ice cream stick thickness" along the ends of your boxes.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

My first 100 frames came from WT Kelley and I liked them just fine.

The last two cases I bought came from Brushy Mt.
    I use mediums and while it may not be necessary I wire most of my frames. What I don't like about the BM medium frames is that the top wire holes are close to the topbar, making it awkward / difficult to crimp the wires. The BM frames also have the thicker bottom bar that I'm not sure I like yet.

What I do like is the cheaper shipping from BM's Pennsylvania location. When I first bought my equipment I "cherry-picked" everything I wanted but shipping costs are now effecting some of my choices. I would have been happy to have only Kelley frames...

8. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

one thing to check weather you got the proper size box,some people rabbit sides rather rabbiting the ends.
    sides should be 19 and 1/8 that will give 1/8 clearance on your ends.
    some wood will shrink making it tight.
    frames I buy is where ever I can get best price. kelly has got good frames now they used to have a thin side bar I like full 3/8
    Don

9. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Thanks,
    Just checked; my rabbets measure out correctly at 19 1/8".

Perhaps I've got the "old" frames from Kelley's. My endbars seem to be more like 5/16" thick. I have some frames I previously got from BM; those endbars are thicker and the frame itself is a little wider, leaving 1/4" between the endbars and wall of the super.

-Dan

10. milapostol

milapostol New Member

We started out with Kelley's, then used Mann-Lake, and then Dadant. Can't say I notice any real differences. I have noticed that sometimes it's hard to get the wax foundation in place and to get it to stay there.