1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I have been making 14 inch wide 8-frame hives after a 13 3/4 inch turned out to be a tight fit with no wiggle room, but am finding that the 14 inch is way too big for frames that I have bought from Walter T. Kelley, but just right for frames that I bought from Dadant. So I just thought I'd post this to let you all know that there are big differences between frame width between suppliers. It's very possible that I may have gotten economy frames from Walter T. Kelley though, I don't recall paying attention to anything other than depth and number ordered, so maybe the difference in frame width is due to a difference between commercial grade and economy grade frames, but I'm not certain. The frames from Dadant are certainly more robust though.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it is not uncommon to find that the endbars vary amongst the various manufactures which is where I assume you are seeing this difference???

I think perhaps what you are seeing is the cumulative effect of slight variations in the milling process.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That might be it... but it sure adds up. Across just 8 frames it makes a 1/4 inch difference. That's enough to make the difference in violating bee space.

I decided to go ahead and go back to the 13 and 3/4 inch boxes and go with the W. T. Kelley frames because I just like them, plus every little bit of space adds up, and that extra 1/4 inch could add up to a big difference when multiplied by a semi-truck load. Plus 13 and 3/4 is the standard 8 frame width, so it'll be a little easier to buy stuff that fits later on.