Frames and foundation

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Dakine, May 4, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

I live in warm Hawaii and I just took my first swarm that's looking pretty "good" after 5 day's. No the champayne isn't out yet!!!
    I DON'T have any idea what brand's /and who to buy from are best for me???? I started off with 10 wired foundation/ frames from a company called Dadant. I built my own boxes and bee vac as shipping to Molokai is VERY costly. Yeah sometimes living in "paradise" isn't always that great!
    I'd appreciate any referals from peeps who've "been around the block" a few times. Even those that haven't as I'm a bit lost on what to buy and whom to buy from??
    Thanks and aloha.
    Dakine guy!

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Dadant are a well known supplier, can't go wrong with them.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi dakine,
    as zulu said, dadant is a well known, well respected company and excellent supplier. you asked about 'brands' or who to buy from for what's best for you, or what to buy? what type of equipment are you 'a bit lost on what to buy'? also you said 'whom to buy from". living in hawaii, shipping costs are not cheap, so purchasing equipment in california to be shipped to you in hawaii would be a good choice for you?
    btw, you will get a dozen answers for 'what brand' or 'what to buy'......that's a 'beery deep subject'! :grin:

you mentioned frames....for frames now, i like the pierco waxed foundation, black for deeps, and white for supers.

what equipment are you looking to purchase? or have questions on, or would like advice for?

4. Dakine

Dakine New Member

"shipping costs are not cheap"
    Sure aren't. That's the number one problem I have to attack. Mainly a LOT of suppliers will only ship USPS Parcel Post which takes over a month to get here. I'm "kicked back" but not that great of a planer!!
    USPS Priority only takes a few days but it will sometimes cost as much or more than the purchase. Dadant is looking pretty decent.

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Are you connected with any other local beekeepers? They're probably the best folks to get referrals from, given they have experience getting equipment to Hawaii. There used to be a Mann Lake distributor there - "Molokai Mele LLC" - but I don't see them listed in the current catalog. Still, if they're nearby, you might want to chat with them.

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

definitely check locally. Priority mail is the fastest way to get lightweight product into Hawaii, not cheap, but I've shipped there with good success. (not bee stuff).
    My bee stuff is almost all Dadant. Got one near me - saves me shipping, and the quality has been excellent.

Welcome to the "club".

Gypsi

7. Dakine

Dakine New Member

"pierco waxed foundation, black for deeps, and white for supers"
    Looks like there's a reason you use different color foundations in different places???
    I'm new at this and still learning the do's and don't of keeping bees successfully and properly.
    Aloha
    Da kine guy!

8. Dakine

Dakine New Member

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dakine, those will be fine.

about the pierco, the black and white thing......every keep has an opinion, the queen likes to lay in the darker comb, but it doesn't really matter as to what color you put in your boxes. the bees will draw out the foundation, and the queen will lay, i just prefer the black comb.

10. Dakine

Dakine New Member

11. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Thanks I'll try the black also.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

how much comb honey do you want?
    i use an old fashioned method, you can use foundationless super frames, start with 1 or 2 frames, (no foundation) off to the side of the center of a super, the bees will draw this empty frame out and fill it with the most beautiful comb you have ever seen.

13. Dakine

Dakine New Member

I'd like to try something like the ross round honeycomb mold???

14. Gypsi

So much to choose from! (This sure beats last year.)

Gypsi

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi dakine,
    i have never used ross round's, so i cannot give you any advice about them.
    this is my method (an old method) if you would like to try this and is very successful:

riverbee's honeycomb

(it is a powerpoint slide show, i don't think i can embed here, but take a look.)

i am not discouraging you, or anyone from using ross rounds or the squares, many new beeks have asked me how i do comb honey because they want to try it, but don't want to spend the money for the equipment. i would encourage any beek to try comb honey because many folks like comb honey or chunk honey, and those who do will make tracks to your door to get it!

i can tell you, for any comb honey production, you will need very strong colonies (or strong colony) and a very good nectar flow, otherwise the bees will not fill the rounds or the squares completely.

if you are interested, a good 'primer' and book for comb honey production is Honey in the Comb by Eugene E. Killion (this is a dadant publication).

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    What works best for doing comb honey?

tecumseh:
    I myself use shallow supers, plain foundation and a knife.

17. Tia

Tia New Member

My hives are mostly foundationless and they do draw it out faster and better (IMHO). So far as Ross Rounds go, that's great, but you sound like you're looking to save money and they're expensive not even considering the shipping!

18. Marbees

Marbees Member

For comb honey I use foundationless frames with popsicle sticks glued to the top bar in shallow supers. Some suggest using starter strips of wax foundation on every other frame. I had a good straight comb without it.

19. Gypsi

Since my nucs missed most of my spring flow, I think my cutout hive is my best opportunity for comb honey. But at the moment they are making some kinda messy comb. I alternated Plasticell frames with open frames and they've "combed" a couple of them together. I'll have to train them when I have a bit more time than I had yesterday.

20. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Good Morning:smile: Do you paint a wax bead on the top frame to get them started?
    Great slide show!