Frames

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Kevin1969, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Kevin1969

Kevin1969 New Member

First year beekeeper. added second brood box to both of my hives, but they seem to be haveing a hard time drawing them out. Im feeding 1:1 syrup to both hives. Im getting worried that they are filling lower boxes with the syrup and not leaving room for eggs/brood.

My equipment is brand new, wooden frames with wax coated foundation. I do have older frames that i can use. They are partially drawn about 50-70%. But that comb seems very brittle.

Question, what to do?
    Keep feeding syrup and use new frames?
    Or, stop feeding and switch out new frames for partially drawn ones?

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

take out some of the new frames on top box and put older frames with comb on, the bees are masters at fixing up a hive, the comb will draw them up to the 2nd box, keep feeding..

3. Kevin1969

Kevin1969 New Member

Thank you very much,...will do asap...

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Good catch Bob. Kevin let us know how it goes

5. Kevin1969

Kevin1969 New Member

Added old frames to top box. They cleaned them off down to the foundation , not what I expected them to do. I thought they would just fix up old comb and start useing. Not a complete redo. Hive still seems honey bound ( I think that's the proper term), wait and see......I hate waiting.

6. Gypsi

they don't think they have enough bees to patrol the 2nd story and control SHB and Wax Moth

7. Kevin1969

Kevin1969 New Member

I have come the conclusion that my bees do not like the one piece plastic frame/foundation frames. They are starting drawing out the wood/foundation frames just fine but ignore or clean off the plastic frames that have old comb on them without drawing them out.

Do bees prefer one type to another?

8. Gypsi

On deeps mine don't seem to care, I get the light colored one piece plasticell from dadant and they draw it. On mediums, they will draw it but I mix with foundationless wooden wedge frames and they do like the wood better. Still the plasticell is faster for me to use and helps keep them drawing straight comb, once they got it going I can pull plasticell and replace with foundationless.

Foundationless deep frames need fishing line or wire over 20 lb test drawn across and crisscrossed or the comb will fall apart in the heat when full of honey, causing robbing and the loss of a hive. It gets pretty hot here.

I've had people tell me they like black foundation better, I have not found that to be true, I'm not building wooden frames with foundation wax or plastic. I pick up about 50 one piece plasticell frames every few years. Works for me. The ones I get do come wax coated from Dadant. You can always add more wax

9. mark nic

mark nic New Member

I am using the black plastic foundation that was wax coated and I coated them again myself I am a returning beekeeper after a 20 year hiatus belong to a club that act like I am a complete beginner which is fine the look down their noses at plastic but every time a member come over to see how how bad I screwed up they are impressed with how well my hives are doing let em snicker.
    I have two very strong hives going each everything is 8 frame with two deeps all with drawn comb, I just added a medium box to each last week and already the ladies are happily drawing comb on them.
    I have fed them since I got them which the experienced people tell me I don't need too but I want to go into next spring so I can get at least 3 splits off of them maybe 4 time will tell
    on the topic of feeding, I made a pleasant mistake and only added 4 bounds of sugar to a gal of water plus a tablespoon of honey-b-healthy and its been that way since I got them just caught that last week but it seem as if the bees were just fine with that, gonna experiment with that next year but damn but they are drawing comb like crazy and my queens are egg laying machines.
    I don't mess with the hives near as much as most other than feeding I will usually look at the top deep every two weeks and break the complete hive down for a close inspection once a month for a through inspection I did this over the weekend and no ants, moths, mites nothing
    my plan is if all goes well to do a preventive treatment for mites this fall, I have already bought some pollen substitute and made patties and put them in the freezer I haven't yet decided how I was going to feed the sugar any opinions would be welcome

Gypsi likes this.
  10. Gypsi

sounds like you've got it handled Mark

11. mark nic

mark nic New Member

so far so good anyhow, lol

12. Gypsi

They are alive, you are doing something right, now get them ready for winter!

13. mark nic

mark nic New Member

hope they stay that way, as I said earlier I am pretty old school, it was over 40 years ago when I was playing with this hobby and the new generation can't figure out why I do some of the things I do, 8 frame hive went out of style a long time ago, I also dont' use the drone brood frames I was taught to us a medium frame in a deep box and let them build drone cell on the bottom and just scrape them off.
    some other odds and ends I do have the youngsters scratching their heads and there are things I needed to learn about that just weren't much of a problem in the past.
    for the most part I go by the saying if something isn't broke don't fix it
    the biggest thing I changed was going to plastic foundation, I did this with a bit of trepidation but truth be told I always hated wiring wax foundation into the frames, thankfully that has worked out MUCH better than expected

14. Gypsi

I kinda like what happens when I run out of deep frames and put mediums in a deep box. Except at honey extraction time, the comb below the bar usually ends up crush and strain. I do most of my medium frames foundationless entirely. Deeps that go foundationless get strung with fishing line. I alternate one piece plasticell frames with the foundationless when they are starting a box, to get the comb drawn straight