Freeing stuck together boxes to treat for varroa

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by lindnova, Aug 5, 2016.

1. lindnova

lindnova New Member

Time to address varroa mites. Newbee here. Kind of long post.

Well, my hive is flourishing after starting out as a feral colony in an old untended 2 deep boxes. My original hope was to have the queen come up into the new box early in the year and discard the old boxes as they are in pretty rough shape. I am planning on waiting until spring for that now. I have not separated the 2 old boxes yet as they have been very stuck together and the frames are so stuck and combed that I was worried about killing the queen if I messed with them enough to pull frames out so no real brood inspections have been done.

The bees are a little aggressive also - when I repositioned the old boxes back on the bottom board they came out in full force. I tried not wearing gloves once and shorts once and have been stung 4 times just having the top off and inspecting the top supers (I used smoke). Doesn't work for me like the youtube videos sometimes show the veteran keepers with no gear on. I have been advised that messing with the brood boxes this time of year will take the jacket, gloves and duct tape on the pant cuffs!

I have a deep full of honey on top of the old boxes - one frame has brood. I have not seen the queen yet. I put a queen excluder on top of that and have another deep box nearly full of honey (heavy!) and a medium on that they are drawing comb as of 2 weeks ago. Still some nectar flowing here and goldenrod starting to bloom.

Plan is to keep one deep of honey for the bees wintering and hope they are up in that box in spring.

Now on to the question of mites - I am going on local beekeepers advice of treating with miteaway in mid August. The mite away strips I have say to put the strips between brood boxes. Wish I had separated them in June. I am planning to use a thin wire to cut and separate the brood boxes - this weekend weather looks great to do that. Then let them recover from me upsetting them for a week two then put the strips on. My worry is hurting the queen, but would think she would stay within the frames when separating the boxes apart and scraping the burr comb off between them.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

Im new to bee keeping too and lost my hive last year to mites, this year I treated early with oxilic acid vapor and will do again in the fall, you dont have to take the hive apart to vapor them, and I made my own vaporizer for cheap and it works great..also oxilic acid is also cheap.. most of the research I did states OA has some of the lowest impact on the bees health...