from 1 hive to the next

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I like sitting in the morning with my coffee just as it get light and watch the hives and it amazes me the differences from 1 hive to the next, the longboat key cut-out hive has to be the hardest working 1 of all time, these guys are flying when its still hard to see the box and they do it as its getting dark too, the other hives seem to wake up after the sun hits the boxes, same thing with the temp outside, longboats working the cooler temps when the other hives only have 1 or 2 workers flying, I wanna see when it gets hot if they are still outworking all the others I may have found my new queen hive.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

It has been reported Zookeep by others that some breeds of bees will work earlier and later that other breeds of bees. I should also point out that nosema infected bees will also fly earlier and at lower temperature than healthy bees.

working early or late is not the total answer to how much honey or bees a hive can or will produce.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have several hives 400 ft. south of the house, and many times i've put my coat on to go feed the cattle, only to be meet by a bee as i go out the door (40F to 45F) :confused: . Also, i have waited till dark to close a hive up so i can move them to another location (in the spring) only to find them still flying. :roll: With the many different breeds of bees i've had over the years, my bees are totally Mutt's, and like most women, set in there ways. :mrgreen: Jack

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well after tecs post I had to open her up and take a real good look around, no k-wing, lost or dead bees on the ground at the entrance, good brood building up inside, very clean bees, not what I would say is a massive amount of honey but wow they store the pollen, looks like the font colour squares, and no SHBs at all not 1, all the other hives have a few, heck its florida might as well get used to 1 or 2 in a hive, but all seems well. (panic attack over)

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

another odd thing about this hive is bee glue, or should I say the lack of it, the buckfast hive next to it is like a glue factory , Im amazed its not just oozing out the screen on the bottom, but the longboat hive clean as a whistle just a bit between the frames holding them together and real nice looking comb.

6. BuddhaBee

BuddhaBee New Member

It is fun watching them, isn't it? And I like hearing the different tones/sounds the girls make depending on their mood on any given day. My bees are Russians, and they've been pretty calm. This first year, I've taken no honey. The only "watch it" zzzt! sound I've noticed as a consistent "hey, hey, what's up" is when I'm about to separate the top bar frames that compose the brood chamber. I'm trying to remember to not only move slowly, but to really pay attention by observing and listening to the conversation within the hive itself.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""I'm trying to remember to not only move slowly, but to really pay attention by observing and listening to the conversation within the hive itself.""

You don't know how right you are. People look at me real funny like when I tell them the bees will talk to you. If you listen to them, they will tell you a lot.

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

Iddee:
    People look at me real funny like when I tell them the bees will talk to you. If you listen to them, they will tell you a lot.

Marbees:
    What a relief :yahoo: I am not the only one. :lol:

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Ask my wife, the bees are the only girls I listen to :rolling: :rotfl:

On a real note, I love to watch and listen to them thats why my next project is a large observation hive near my comp desk :Dancing: