from Langstroth to Nationals????

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Bcrazy, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Bcrazy

Bcrazy New Member

Hi Guy's,

Due to ill health I have had to cut down from 20+ hives to four hives. I am keeping my 2 Langstroth poly and 2 Langs wooden with four National Nuc's.
    I foresee a problem when the swarming season is up us , how do I deal with the swarming tendencies in the Langs and transfere it to the Nationals?
    1. Do I cut out and paste into Nuc with house bees only?
    2. Do I try to cut out all queen cells from a hive? (Could possibly miss one)!
    3. suggestions from the forum members please.

Mo

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I am going to ask because I'm too lazy to look it up but what is the size of a national. Seems like they are much larger than a deep Lang.

3. Bcrazy

Bcrazy New Member

Hi G3,
    The inside dimentions of a National are; 371mm X 422mm normally bottom bee space.
    Internal dimentions of a Langstroth is 486mm X 368mm
    In reality the size of a National is smaller than a Langstroth so I teel you what I'll get the frame sizes let me start again. Frames Comb area Nattional = 119 sq in.
    77 sq in.
    Langstroth = 161 sq in, and 95sq in.
    So we can see there is a larger areain a Langstroth than in a National.

So members how do I go about the queen cells from a Langstroth to utilise into a National Nuc (5frames).?

Thank you ,

Mo

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I think I would just trade somebody those national nucs for Lang nucs.

If you have some woodworking skills you could make the 5 frame plywood nucs, they work really well.

Let me find the link for ya.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1733

There is a link in this thread.

Are you wanting to make splits to sell or keep?

If you are selling nucs, what are the majority of the hive sizes in your area?

6. Bcrazy

Bcrazy New Member

The problem I have is I am taking the BBKA Husbandry exam and the criteria for that is to show a method of dealing with the swarming tendancy from a hive, Having a queen right nucleus to develope into a full colony and use of mating Nucs in Q rearing proceedures. The apiary must be suitable for queen rearing which it wont be. Yes It will I have just seen a way to do that. put my queen raising frame into a Nuc with house bees.
    my main concern is about the swarming tendancy and dealing with that , if I transfer the single cells into a Nuc then that will need to be checked every third day. Oh well the examiner should have enough savvy to ask questions in the vien of whats required and for me to answer it as I am determined to try to have my bees fight back against Varroa and that is no short term project. No wonder I have gone gray or should I say silver. More mature. (Silly old billy) nearly said it.

Mo.

Nearly forgot to add the majority of hives in the UK are old Nationals which in all honesty are too small for todays queens which far out lay the old British Black queens.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think perhaps you are making this process or question a bit too complicated.

I would take the most direct route to the exam question and simply shake bees from the healthy national hives and then stock whatever equipment I want with the bulk bees. In a lot of places this is pretty much how baby nucs* are started in the spring time on new foundation. The process of doing this is not so overwhelming but does require a bit of attention to detail.

I am not certain why you might think you would need to check on the status of cell on a three day schedule????

*this process could world equally as well to any size of box for the rearing of queens.