Frozen Honey Crystallized?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Aug 14, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

For years i would put chunks of comb honey in glass quart jars in the freezer, when someone ordered a quart of chunk honey i would thaw it out and pour honey into the jar for them, worked great no problem. For the last two years i have had trouble with the comb crystallizing? The comb honey (in plastic sandwich boxes) i stored in cardboard boxes in the freezer, and a case of qt. chunk honey in a cardboard box ( filled quarts with comb in them) were crystallized solid? these were left over from last year. How can honey crstallize if it is frozen:???:. What is going on? anyone else have this problem? Jack

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

Is the honey in the comb chunks made from certain flowers that tend to do this? (see the other thread currently on this). Did your bees get access to sugar syrup feed at some point while nectar was being stored in the comb?- honey contaminated with amounts of sugar syrup would crystallize faster. Is anyone open-feeding syrup near you? Hummingbird feeders? Are you using different containers in the past two years?
    The best clue here is that this has been happening to you only in the past two years- you'll have to be a sleuth and figure out what things have changed.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Omie, the flower part i can't answer, but no to the other questions. My hives are in farm country with not to many houses close by, i rarely have to feed them in the spring and most of their winter stores are used up around the time the Maples and Willow trees start blooming in the spring.(so it;s not from any i fed syrup to) When the honey flow starts (around mid May) i put excluders on and put two med. supers on top, so it's fresh nector coming in. Not to say some farm ladies don't have hummingbird feeders out, but i'm sure i would hear about it if my bees are working them.:lol:I can't think of a thing that i'm doing different? Jack