Fume boards & Bee-Go

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Murrell, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I know it's early but what is your experience with fume boards.
    I always used 3 homemade escape boards but health isn't going let me do all that extra lifting any more.
    Hopefully I would like to extract this summer
    Then get out of the bee hobby, 8 hives are just way too many too call it a hobby .
    Thanks to all.

Murrell

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

They work pretty good and even better when the temps are hot. Most paint them flat black to help draw the heat.

Sorry to hear you are getting out of it, surely you can mentor some young gun with a strong back :grin:

3. mrbee

mrbee New Member

We use them every day when we start pulling honey during the summer. We go through about 10 gallons of the stuff. Like G3 said paint them a flat black so they can heat up as much as possible. If you pull on a rainy or cloudy day they won't work as well. Setting a hot smoker on them gets them going pretty good though during a dreary day. Also if you use them like we do the bee go will eventually eat through the metal. One downside is you will smell like a wet dog times 1000. My wife wont even let me come through the front door after taking honey off all day. Wear some clothes you don't care much for when you use it. I've grown to like it though. It smells like money to me :)

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is a good idea about sitting the smoker on top of one, never thought about it :thumbsup:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

first do yourself and everyone around you a favor and buy some fisher's bee quick. at the end of the day everyone will not give you the same look they give pig farmers. it is a bit slower but works fine as long as the temperature is somewhat elevated.

on somewhat overcast days I situate my fume board on the hood of my truck. I have even considered building a rack under the hood to add some heat to the board.

6. Tia

Tia New Member

What tecumseh said. Bee Go? Yuck! To stink is one thing; to use Bee Go is another!

7. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

I saved money on the fume board and simply spray Bee Quick on a piece of cardboard spray painted flat black on one side. If any extra heat is needed to create fumes, a piece of window glass goes on top for a few minutes to heat up the black side. By the time I pull the super, cart it over to the air compressor to blow away any stragglers, and put the super in the extracting room, the next super has had enough time under the fumes to pull off the hive and so on.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

tec said:
    "first do yourself and everyone around you a favor and buy some fisher's bee quick. at the end of the day everyone will not give you the same look they give pig farmers."

absolutely. fisher's bee quick. also here is a trick to get this to work quickly even in not very sunny days. spray it on the fume board, place it on the super, and hit the metal with a propane torch to heat it quickly, the super empties in minutes.

9. hankdog1

hankdog1 New Member

If your doing a bunch of heavy lifting going to a top bar hive might be your solution. Pull one frame at a time is about the worest of the lifting you have to do. Don't get me wrong it has some disadvantages over langstroths but you can keep a couple of hives and keep yourself in honey. As far as stuff to use with a fume board as many others have said Fisher's Bee Quick. Try spilling Bee Go in your wife's car 4 hours from the house and see how pleasent that ride is. The Bee Go is bad enough and then you have to add a good tounge lashing from her. Bee Go just isn't worth it. It was great back in the day when it came out but there is stuff out there now that smells almost good enough to drink.

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

As an alternative to a TBH, you can use the method hankdog1 describes with a Lang. Set an empty box with a cloth cover next to the hive you are pulling from. Pull 1 frame, using a bee brush, brush all the bees back off into the hive. Lift the cloth cover and put the frame into the empty box, re-cover it and move on to the next frame. The reason for the cloth cover is to prevent a robbing frenzy. Put empty frames back into the hive and move on to the next one.
    Maybe not as quick as the stinky stuff, but works just fine.

11. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Bee Go is quicker than Bee Quick but with only 8 hives it is not worth the smell. Langstroth hives can also be pulled a frame at a time. I have a few older people in the bee workshops that cannot lift 12 pounds. I think your point was not to lift them twice though and a good warm fume board will do that.