Funky Honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Monie, May 19, 2010.

1. Monie

Monie New Member

The girls in one of the hives are putting up the honey. I added another super today. I pulled 1 frame from the first super and brought it home for the family to enjoy. It seems part of that frame has some funky honey. It tastes off, almost like the way goldenrod smells. The rest is fine. You think maybe it hadn't cured long enough?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Was it a new hive, or overwintered? I think Basswood is a black honey, too, and blooms in the spring.

3. Monie

Monie New Member

Overwintered but the comb is fresh, since I'm switching over to foundationless. The honey is light in color.

4. rast

rast New Member

Different strokes for different folks. This last batch I extracted was predominantly blackberry with a little citrus. Not my favorite, my wife raved over it as she was bottling last night. She took a bottle to work with her today and had a "honey tasting" session. She took a bunch of orders for Monday. Told me not to "pollute" it with any thing else.

5. Monie

Monie New Member

LOL! That's great!

6. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

I pulled some this past weekend that is very light in color and is holly, blackberry and other wildflowers (and some other flowers/trees).... very flowery lavender taste. I am not a fan, but people I have ginem a small jar to are now buying it left and right...