G3farms will be proud of his pupil

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by crackerbee, May 18, 2011.

1. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Last week when up in Knoxville Tenn. moving my daughter there to join her boyfriend already living there,while up there I was invited by G3farms to got do a cut out in a house one day and a bee tree the next.On the way to the first one(which by the way was my first ever) that was in the eves of a house,I asked G3 if he was on a list for bee removal,and he replied I'm on several.I told him I hadn't gotten any calls because I wasn't on any lists yet and didn't really have any plans to,no sooner had I said that a friend of mine calls and says that there were bees down at where he worked inside of a 15 ft. tall 10" steel support column.That was on Wed. 5/11 and I didn't get back until Sat. 5/14,and told my friend I'd be down Mon. to take a look.By the time I got there the bees had absconded and found a new home somewhere else.I was somewhat disappointed,so yesterday(5/17)I posted an ad for bee removal on Craigslist in the farm services section,and at 11 am today I get a call from a guy saying he has a swarm in a tree in his back yard.So I packed up everything I thought I'd need(cardboard box with a screen vent hole and a 5 frame nuc box I had and the usual beek tools) and went to take a look.
    I got to the house and was greeted by a nice lady named Shanna(her husband John had to go to work),so she led me in the back yard to see where the bees were.Well they were in the tree alright buy hanging about 12 ft. up on the neighbors side that lived behind her.So I drove around to the neighbors house and knocked on the door and a guy answered and I told him why I was there and would it be ok if I went in his yard to get the bees,and he was more than willing to get rid of them.So I took all the stuff I needed to the back yard and climbed up the ladder to look,and that's when I saw that it wasn't a swarm but an open nest about 16" wide and almost 2 ft. long.Realizing I came unprepared for this,and that no way were all these bees going to fit in a 5 frame nuc box,I decided the best way was to take down the whole nest and place it on it's side so not to swish any bees and possibly the queen.I took the box up and slipped it under the nest to support it and cut it loose.It laid down perfectly on it's side then I used some plywood pieces I had in the truck to keep it propped up in place.
    The whole job took almost 20 min. from start to finish,and after packing up I thanked the fella that let me work from his yard,then went around to Shanna's house to tell her I'd gotten most of the bees and that there may be some hanging around for a few days,and should leave once they realize their house was no more.I brought them back to the house,and did my first cut out on the back porch,and had plenty of brood of all ages and for a good cut out,for a first time newbee anyway.
    G3 thank you,I would not have been able to do this,if not for you showing me how.Sorry Iddee I didn't get too many pics because it was kind of overwhelming being my first cut,and was a pretty sticky situation to say the least,and the wife would've had my head if her good camera was handed back to her with honey all over it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's after I cut out 4 frames of brood.

[​IMG]

All the bees in the bottom of the box after removing the comb,I left out 4 frames then shook the remaining bees in the hive then closed it up.I never did find the queen.

[​IMG]

Thanks again G3farms,I couldn't have done it without your patience to teach me how,you're a great mentor for sure.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOW that was a good sized open hive.

Nice job on getting it in the hive :thumbsup:

See there nothing to it!! :lol:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well done Crackerbee!

Your first and surely not your last!
    (pays to stay awake in class, eh. ;) )
    And to G3, for taking the time to pass on the "tricks of the trade"......... :bow: :clapping: :thumbsup:

(did no one else see the queen in that last picture but me?) :mrgreen:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""I left out 4 frames then shook the remaining bees in the hive then closed it up.""

Good job. You're a natural.

The above quote worries me. If you didn't replace the four frames, do it NOW. Not in 3 minutes, but NOW. Don't even reply to this post before doing it. They are already drawing out comb on the lid. They will always fill empty space with comb before using frames.

Other than that, it was a beautiful job. Congrats...

5. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

I'm sorry Iddee I left out the part where I replaced all frames(10) before closing her up.And thanks for saying something regarding it...you never know with a newbee at the wheel. :lol:

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Whew!! Had me sweating there, Cracker. I've seen too many do it.

7. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

I've been learning from the best here,and it payed off today.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Not sure if you were kidding here or not, but I can see her in it. I'm pretty sure that's her anyway... longer than normal abdomen, lighter color with very skinny bands, and big bulbous thorax... it's a little blurry but off-hand I'd say that's her. She's approx. 1/3 the distance from the left and just slightly over 1/2 the distance from the bottom if viewing the bottom of the box as a square.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Ben, glad you chimed in. I know my eyes are not what they used to be but I thought that might be her as well. I was getting worried I was the only one :oops:

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I though the same thing Bensbees.

Almost always if you dump (shake, bump) bees into a box (or whatever) the queen will pop the top very quickly.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I find it particularily interesting that many of us actually took the time to deeply peer into that last photograph, trying to find the queen! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Think that says anything about us? :lol:

12. rast

rast New Member

Good job. You may have to expand your bee yard to more than just your garden. :thumbsup:

13. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

I inspected the hive again today to see how they were coming along,and not only saw new comb being drawn well with lots of brood,I also saw the queen nice and fat.I guess Perry and Ben's eagle eyes were right when they said they thought they'd seen a queen in the box on top.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Congrats... How many total now?

15. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

I be a five hive guy now. :Dancing: :yahoo:

Not too shabby for not having bees until 2 months ago.

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

0 to 5 in 60 days!

Isn't that the name of a movie? :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

..........and did a cut out from a house and a bee tree also.

I would say the bug has bitten you