Garden time in Mo.

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by brooksbeefarm, Mar 31, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Well finally the ground dried out enough to plow the garden and one sweet corn field I will try to grt my potateos and onion plants in the ground tomorrow. Depends on if i get my fertllizer on my two hay fields first, they'er bringing the wagon in the morning. :thumbsup: The rest of the pastures has got to dry up more, right now a duck couldn't walk across them. Jack

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds good, I am going to till mine up tomorrrow.

3. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Jack, I have a long long time till I can plow up here! I have over 300 trees from the consv dept heading my way too. I sure hate digging this gummy clay when its soggy! You gonna plant any buckwheat this year?

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Beehunter, i'm going to try to plant buckwheat this year, i have the seed from last year i never got to plant. Where i plant it, there's a wet weather spring that runs across that area and sometimes doesn't dry up till summer. I got my notice yesterday that my trees would be shipped in 10 days,don't remember what kind, but i ordered between two and three hundred. I 've got one of those spades that the conservation dept. use (my brothers) it makes planting seedlings alot easier :thumbsup: . Jack

5. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Jack just try to get those tree's done before we come down on the 16th! if not? I'll try to remember the wifes shovel!
    Zane

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It's that time of year that i'm meeting myself coming around corners. Couldn't get a fertilizer wagon (it rained) so i worked on the basement bathroom, putting in the the last wall and acoustical ceiling. Getting ready for the bee club meeting at my house on May 1. The rain missed us for today so i'll disc the garden and put potatoes and onions out :thumbsup: . Zane, i keep 4 to 5 of all garden tools like shovels, hoes, rakes and spades, so not to worry if you forget your wifes shovel :oops: . I think that's why my brothers don't come and visit durring planting time.Since they live in the city and two of them are retired, and all three are fatter than i am, they would just be in the way. :mrgreen: Jack

7. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Jack good to hear you have a shovel for the wife. Too bad I'm left handed those right handed tools just never fit my hands! I planted some more fruit tree's this weekend but still way too wet for a plow. Just got 1" yesterday again! Maybe I can go visit your brothers for you while the wife helps you plant tree's? Are the Redbuds in bloom yet? mine are about to bust if we dont get a freeze tonight.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Beehunter, have you forgotten your wife is from Randleman? You will be wearing that shovel tightly around you neck if she sees this post.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Zane, growing up with thee brothers you have to think ahead, all my garden and hand tools have universal handles :mrgreen: .As for visiting my brothers, they will be hard to find until it gets close to harvest time. :roll: The redbud is trying real hard,i have seen some in bloom in town. Haven't seen a dogwood in bloom yet. i hear some people say the are but i think what there seeing is wild plum.The conservation dept. sent me my notice that my trees will be shipped within 10 days, so your April 16, vist should be just about right. :mrgreen: Jack

10. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

oh dear I hope I still remember how to get there! I have a couple dogwoods I looked @ on my place today and they look pretty full in the buds. I hope my plum and apricots arent going to freeze tonight and or fri!!! Enverythings coming on FAST! have you seen or heard of any morels yet?

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Haven't heard of any morels yet, my daughter lives by Stockton lake and my son works at the hospital in Bolivar, Mo. and they haven't found our heard of anyone finding any yet.Ummmm, Can't wait for a big plater of them with a green salad and baked beans. Jack

12. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Went looking today, no luck yet. needs a little more rain I think. We'll be heading down tomorrow. Hope the wife has room for her shovel!

13. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Got the ground tilled up good but decided to throw some straw into the mix so will till again tomorow and plant. Rain thur-fri it looks like!

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Seen rain coming down the valley, so i put the corn planter on the tractor and got 12 rows (300ft. long) planted before it hit (sweet corn). :thumbsup: It begin to sprinkle when i was planting the last row and just when i pulled the tractor into the shed it started pouring. :yahoo: I'm usually not that lucky :mrgreen: Jack

15. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

16. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

I got sweet peas runner bean and some beets planted. It looks like that buckwheat I threw out last week is already coming up and so is my white clover!!! Now w/ all the rain I'll just have to hunt turkeys for the next week since the dirts too wet! Maybe I can find some mushrooms too!!!!

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It's a little early yet but i went ahead and put out okra, greenbeans, peppers, cucumbers and replaced the rhubarb plant that died from last falls storm (a tree fell on it) so i'm back to 7 rhubarb plants. It's just a risk you take in this part of the country, we'v had hard frost up to the middle of May at times. Jack

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Planted 34 rows of sweet corn 350ft. long today, i've got one more field to plow and disc, it is on a slight slop and stays wet longer than the rest of my fields ( about an acre) but i usually get a late crop :thumbsup: .Next will be melons (on May 5, ) and on May 10, i will plant 600 tomatoe plants. By the way my son called last night an said he heard that Fl. had a shortage of tomatoes this year, anyone else hear this? Jack

19. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Jack, It looks like your gonna have to wait a little before you get the plow out! How much rain you gettting?We only got .4". Did the bee club meeting get cancelled? I'm looking @ an ol JD 4 row planter in new shape w/ 3 extra sets of plates. Hope I can get it!!!! What kind of melons in your field this year?

20. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The bee club meeting is still on, the weatherman says it will be dry tomorrow? starts at 10:30am, eat at 11:00am and go to the beeyard at 12:00pm, Hopefully :thumbsup: . Zane, i have a 2 row JD corn planter and really like it. I still have my old 2 row Black Hawk corn planter for back up. I'll be planting Ambrosia cantalope, and the water melons will be Moon & Stares,Black Diamond, cremson sweet,Sangria F1,Fiesta F1 and Desert King (a yellow water melon. We had an 1 in. of rain the first of the week and at 3:30pm today we got 1/2 in.. :thumbsup: that should bring the corn i planted yesterday up. Your right about that last acre i have to plow, it was the last of June last year before i could put a plow to it. Hope you get that corn planter. Jack