Garden time

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by brooksbeefarm, Apr 3, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It finally dried out enough that i could plow 5 garden spots,the three other spots were still to wet. I will be watching the oak trees, dad always said, when the leaves on a oak trees is big as a squirrels ear it's time to plant sweet corn. I should have already planted radish, lettuce,spinach, and onions. Jack

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It finally dried out enough to get the tiller in my two spots yesterday. Cut seed potatoes yesterday also to let them dry out, try to get them into the ground this afternoon. Bought some cabbage and onion plants at the co-op last weekend but too wet to get into the dirt.

Well it is off to haul two steers to the slaughter house this morning for a neighbor.

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

We had the "wet" problem last year. Everything got in late. Lost the onions to wet. Just the opposite this year: everything in and doing well. :yahoo:

Walt

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Don't have that garden fever today like i had yesterday. :roll: It was in the mid 80's yesterday,todays high 48 F and 30F tonight, but the rest of the week in the 70's :thumbsup: Jack

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

well got 50 pound bag of spuds in the ground and had to nail a few shingles back on the roof.

What a windy, windy day, as they say out west it was a two holer, meaning I had to take my seed corn cap up two holes for it to stay on my head :lol: :lol:

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The leaves on my white oak are full size. Thing is, they are last year's leaves :shock: , all brown and dry. That tree never wants to give up its leaves until the new ones push them off!

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

garden just about planted, 4 rows of potatoes, 48 tomato plants, 3 rows of sweet corn (incredible, some kind of hybrid I got as a door prize at a bee meeting), 1 row of cabbage, 1/2 row of onions and some asparagus.

Still got okra, beans, cucumbers, cantaloupes, watermelons, and a couple of more plantings of corn.

Even got the little tiller running after not using it last year when I hurt my back.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

YES! we had a whole weekend of wonderful sunny 60F, and over two days I got a whole 3'x30' bed cleaned up, dug, hoed, and planted! i was a busy bee. Planted seedlings of cabbage, lots of onions, bok choy, kale. Sowed seeds for lettuces, kohlrabi, spinach, radishes, carrot, and Swiss chard.

Boy am I sore all over now. :shock: I'll wait a week and then I'll dig up the other 3'x30' bed, to be planted a little at a time. The third bed is for tomatoes and cucumbers which will be planted later when it's warmer.

I see my anise hyssop plants coming up, also the catmint, red bee balm, and blue sage pushing up from the ground. We had our first daffodils bloom today- only 5 of them and i cut them to bring in the kitchen to smell Spring.
    So nice!!!

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

In the 70's yesterday, i put out 14 rows of sweetcorn 400 ft. long,4 rows of onions 50 ft. long,4 rows of beets, 2 rows radishes, 1 row spinach, 1 row lettuce all50 ft.long. I was300 ft. from my hives and took two hits from the girls, must have been in there beeline. :confused: Or just women drivers. :shock: Jack

10. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Jack- It's going to be a long summer if you keep getting warning shots from that hive every time you go out and work that part of the garden. :eek:

I'm green with envy over the size of your garden. :mrgreen:

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

srv, just wait til he tells you he planted all of it by hand with a hoe :lol: :lol:

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Uphill, both ways! :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Srv, that's just 1/4 of the garden behind the house,except for the sweetcorn and i have two and a half more acres of corn to plant. :roll: May 10th, i'll put out six hundred tomatoe plants,30 pepper plants, melons, cucumbers, ect. and Hoe, Hoe, Hoe, to you guys :lol: Jack

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

With all of the rain we got last night had to go inspect the garden spot, it had washed out some tomatoes, potatoes, and corn. WAY TOO wet to do anything with it yet. Did pick up a few seeds at the co-op this afternoon though.

Jack that is some garden you got going on, did not look that big from the satellite photos of your place. You running a one or two row corn planter? I did have a one row planter set up on a cub tractor with a side dresser attachment but Dad sold it out from under me. Still have a two row planer on a three point hitch, not sure who made it though. There is even a four row JD planter for an A down in the shed, not sure how complete it is though.

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

G3, i have a two row JD planter and a two row Black Hawk planter. I have one of those one row corn planters for a cub that sets on the side and has a seed bucket and a fertilizer bucket, used it for several years. I have the JD planter set up the way i like and thats all i use now. How's your calving coming along? been afraid to post with the good luck i'm having, i'm 8 for 8 so far. :thumbsup: Jack

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

five for five so far, that is half of them since I sold several. I think a couple bred back late so I will need to keep checking on them.

17. Omie

Omie New Member

I picked our first spinach salad this morning, from tender leaves growing on Fall-planted spinach that had wintered over under the snow! Pretty amazing.
    Gonna have spinach salad with chevre cheese, and tomato soup for dinner. :D

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Omie, sounds good, But were's the Beef?? . :mrgreen: Jack

19. Omie

Omie New Member

Beef? Actually, we haven't eaten beef in about 7 years now. Don't miss it. But we do eat other meat, like chicken and fish etc.
    This morning I had meat in my breakfast- scrambled eggs with plenty of salmon.

I changed my mind about the salad this evening. I got a big bowl of fresh tender spinach leaves from the garden and I made a special dish-
    Made a potato/flour dough and made little Italian gnocchi pasta dumplings which i boiled like pasta, then I quickly sauteed the fresh spinach in butter and lemon juice with ground pepper, and tossed it with the warm gnocchi and grated romano cheese. awesome.... :Dancing:

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like a true Yankee dinner. I'm surprised people can actually live on that stuff. :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: