Gatlinburg cabin trapout 3-10-12

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by bizzybee, Mar 17, 2012.

1. bizzybee

bizzybee New Member

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

Very interesting bizzybee. Thanks for posting.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice, thanks for posting. Keep us informed how this all turns out! :thumbsup:

4. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

thanks for the video, it is the first one I've seen where I can see what everybody is talking about on the bees bringing in pollen

5. bizzybee

bizzybee New Member

Checked on the trap out today, this is day 22 since the trap was set. The leading edge of the trap out would be day 26 (would be the earliest that a queen cell could have been made from a freshly hatched egg) and the trailing edge would be day 22 (a queen cell made from a freshly laid egg (takes 3 to 31/2 days to hatch)).

The bees in the trap hive were very calm like they were queen right but, I could not locate the queen. It is very possible that she could have been on her mating flight. There were about 8 frames solid with bees and all of the brood had hatched out. The queen cells were torn down with the exception of one which was still capped. At this point the capped cell should not be viable, should have hatched out 5 to 6 days ago at the latest. Did not see any eggs from a laying worker either so I am tossing that out for now.

Watched the trap cone for about a 1/2 hour and saw three bees exit the cone and several come back to the base of the cone.Used the IR thermometer and could not find any heat change on the floor inside of the cabin. Could put my ear to the floor and still hear them humming so the trap out is still on.
    100_2374.jpg 100_2370.jpg

6. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member