G'day from an Aussie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SlickMick, Aug 10, 2009.

1. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

They reckon that Aussies don't say much, so

G'day :lol:

Mick

2. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Now that I have that off my chest, g'day to old friends and new.

Been around the ladies for about 15 years but still have a lot to learn

Got a few hits tonight as I was moving a hive into a new location. Guess the girls didn't want to be relocated.

Coming into spring over here and my 4 hives are booming. Went out and bought some more wooden ware to cope with the extra demand. Still have to make up some swarm traps before the season gets to us. The hive that swarmed a few weeks ago and the swarm that I was able to put into a deep are now both chockers. Have to get some supers on them PDQ.

Looking forward to catching up with "y'all"

Mick

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Hello slickmick.

Nice to see you here.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard mate.

ah sping... ain't it the very best time of the year to be a beekeeper?

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome Slickmick.

So what kind of winter weather are you having?

G3

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome from this end, too. Glad to have you here. As we enter winter, it'll be good to get reports from the spring time keepers down under. Maybe it'll help with the winter blahs.

7. rast

rast New Member

Hey, I know you. I think you need an Aussie Gov. grant to solve SHB problem.

8. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

G'day guys, thanks for the welcome.. nice to feel wanted (or perhaps tolerated)

Been a pretty mild winter where I come from.. on the east coast half way between Melbourne in the deep south and Cape York in the far north. Sub tropical climate so the girls are always flying.. never had a frost and today the forecast is for 50-75 deg F. :D

Girls are busy with an early nectar flow.. I dont know what. I live in the capital city only 5k from the centre.. an older suburb but very "green".. trees and gardens everywhere.

So you guys are now getting ready for winter. Boy, I dont know how you do it having to deal with the snow and the cold and the cold and the cold and. Had Christmas in Toronto when the kids were little.. cant believe how human beings could live with so many clothes, plugging the car in overnight, wells freezing up, ice on the road, half an hour to put enough clothes on to put the trash out half an hour take them off again.. brrrr. Give me weather where I can do a run out to the front gate in my jocks and the only thing I have to worry about is if the neighbours see me and start laughing. :eek: :lol:

So you guys can go get out all the layers of clothing ready and I will get out my sunnies, thongs (flip flops), and short pants. :cool:

Have fun in the meantime

Mick lounging on his deckchair with a cold beer in his hand :mrgreen:

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Hello Slickmick,
    good to have you here, know that your looking forward to a good season, spring time is indeed the best time of year, watching everything start to come together, for another season. Glad to have you onboard, and no your not tolerated, your welcome.

10. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Thanks for the welcome, Barry.

It's amazing how much you can learn from a forum and hopefully give some of your own knowledge and experience back. I m on several forums; a couple of archery forums gardening forums and of course the bee forums. First thing I do each morning is check the forums (apart from checking that I am still breathing... that being a necessary component of checking the forums)

Still have a couple of weeks of winter to go but the trees dont think so.. blossom everywhere. Even my broccoli have gone to flower and the pollen is being hotly contested by my honey bees and a heap of native bees about 1/8"-3/16" long. They are so tiny but you can see the little pollen baskets with the naked eye. Our native bees are stingless and produce honey but store it differently from the honey bee I believe. I would really like to know where the hive for this lot is. They use dead holes in trees apparently so I might go for a walk around the neighbourhood one day to try and find them.

Well so much for rambling.. have to check some forums

Mick

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

12. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Wow, someone actually checked out my site..... :eek:

And here I thought I was in trouble..... :lol: Thought maybe you were starting some "stuff" with my smallcell bess.... :eek:

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

>>>Wow, someone actually checked out my site..... <<<

aahhh what can I say, I was bored out of my mind one day and stumbled upon it :lol: :lol:

Pretty good site with lots of info, thanks for the links

G3

14. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Had a look at your site Bjornbee. Pretty good stuff.

I was particularly interested to find out about the Mason bee. I assume when it is called a solitary bee then that is what it is.. it lives by itself :roll:

I dont know if we have solitary bees over here, but we certainly do have a native bee.. quite a few different varieties I believe. But they are not solitary. They live in hives that are quite disimilar to the honeybee. They do all the things that the honey bee does except that it stores its honey differently.. just how I dont know but I understand that it is in little baskets of some sort. I understand that they also swarm to multiply.

The bees that I have in my broccoli at the moment are really tiny.. about 1/8-3/16" long.. quite black. Their little pollen baskets can just be seen with my rather poor eyesight.

I'll do a bit of research and see if I can find some links that would give you more of a realistic picture

Mick

15. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

16. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

G'day Barry,

My apologies for not responding to your post until now as I have just found it.

I think the only native bee that I am aware of around here and that I have seen is the Stingless Bee, the first one in the images. I had a number of broccolli go to flower and they inundated then.. tiny little things but could pack a lot of pollen into those baskets

Mick