Geez, When will I learn

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Supposed to be in the low 20's tonight. I went down to the bee yard to remove a couple of jar feeders sitting on top of a couple of hives. Bees wont take syrup when it's cold right? So no need to where a jacket or anything.
    So I tilted the jar and much to my surprise there was a huge ball of bee clustered on the bottom of the feed jar.:shock:

Sequence of events,

I said "OH, %^$%."
    Got a big wiff of Banana
    3/10ths of a second later 2 hit me on the cheek.
    Tried not panicking as I still had hand on jar trying to cover hole.
    Miss-aligned jar and didn't cover hole.
    Took another hit on forearm
    Then another on finger.
    Let loose of jar.
    Went to house and got jacket.

They always let me know when I screw up.

Alright, go ahead and have your fun, they did.

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

Geez, When will I learn........

Sequence of events,........

I said "OH, %^$%.".........

They always let me know when I screw up.

Alright, go ahead and have your fun, they did.

:rotfl:

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

We expect pictures. What time of day did the bees issue their warning?
    As long as the weather is not getting extremely cold for extended periods of time the bees can handle the syrup jars being on top of the hive. As long as the temp during the day is high enough for the moisture to leave and not condense on the bottom of the inner cover and drip back down on the bees. A few degreas of frost at night and + temps during the days if syrup is being fed it stays on. Yes the bees will cluster and not take the syrup but the amount of sugar and heat from the bees will keep it from freezing.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have this miraculous #8 hardware cloth on the INSIDE of my telescoping covers openings for the jar. The jar sits on the screen. I take the jar off, no bees come with it. May come out the front door, but not off the jar. My own design but you are welcome to try it.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Anytime I hear of someone working bees without smoke and they get hit, my response is simply :rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

but, but, but..... like it ain't ever happened to us.... right Iddee???

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

all I can think is the bees saying " ok bother me while Im trying to sleep and stay warm!!! some1 gonna get a:club:"
    we can all poke fun cause you know we all did it once.

8. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

My daughter said the other day during a conversation. "Dad has learned everything he knows about what "Not" to do with bees by getting stung. You don't do this without a suit. or that without a suit. And she thinks I have just about learned them all by now. I tend to work the bees until one stings me then I go get the jacket.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

And sadly some of us have done it more than once. In fact, some of us continue to do so despite the repeated lessons. :lol:

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Don't feel bad Yankee, it took me two times of the very same thing to learn. You think you can dodge the bees but they are quick little suckers! It's amazing how fast they can approach, land, tilt the fanny and ZAP before you know what happened. I smoke or wear a suit generally all the time now. But, Gypsi's method of using mesh would be great for that. I use that for my nuc boxes.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

We don't count, tec, unless it is more than 20 stings. Then we figure we did something wrong. :D

12. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

In Brownwood, Texas yesterday at 3:00 PM it was 68 degrees F with a southerly wind at eight to 10 mph. I was watching the bees come and go at one of my three hive apiaries. One hive had a couple of dead bees on the landing board and a couple of my bees were struggling to get them off the landing board. Being the helpful guy that I am, I broke off a weed stem and swept the dead bees of the landing board. One of the bitches immediately stung me on my hand. I stood up to assess the damage and two more bees stung me on the neck. Well enough is enough, and I went to the house and came back with a smoker and jacket.

The lesson I took away was that they are guard bees and don't want any giant things helping them. I will add that these are the first cross between Italian and local feral bees. They have been much hotter since the new queens were made. And, yes, I am in AHB area.

13. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

If you were within 10 feet of their hive and didn't get stung til you reached out, they aren't as hot as the bunch I had move in over here last year. Swarm traps are a wonderful thing, but a bit unpredictable for results.

14. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

What I wonder is if a person can build up an immunity to bees stings.

None of those 4 stings swelled up. I remember getting stung during the summer and swelling up bad. I am not even sore today.
    One of the stingers was still in my cheek when I got home. So it wasn't like I removed it quickly.

Every time I think I can take a short cut, they let me know that there is no short cuts. I either do it the correct way or else.
    Must be a women thang, my wife lets me know when I screw up as well.

Funny thing was, I knew I was going to get it. As I left the house my wife asked where I was going. I said " gonna go see if I can get stung"

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip....
    What I wonder is if a person can build up an immunity to bees stings.

None of those 4 stings swelled up. I remember getting stung during the summer and swelling up bad.

tecumseh...
    if I go a long spell without getting whacked I swell just a bit the first couple of wallops I receive. then it is pretty much as you seem to suspect. at the height of the season I swell up almost not at all except for around the eyes and a good bit less around my wrist.

16. Lburou

Lburou Member

Location of the sting has a lot to do with the response for me. Stings on the hand get just a small response. Above the wrist to the elbow, or above the ankle to the knee is where I swell the most....Unless you're counting eyes swelling shut, well almost shut. ;)

17. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Yankee: That sux! Been there, and done that! I hope you react better than I do! I feel all "Ahhh, the stings don't bother me anymore", until 2 days later when I wake up scratching myself out of my mind, and swollen like a balloon Delayed reaction for me, and it is BRUTAL! I don't care who poo poo's me for suiting up, but I do pretty much every time! Like you, it's the "I'll only be a minute" that gets me in the cheek!! A$$ cheek or otherwise! Next time, if there are bees on the jar, just shake 'em off!! They'll find their way back to the hive! I learned that the hard way, too! :wink:

18. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

With me I don't necessarily try to avoid being stung. I want to keep My immunity to bee stings that I have developed over the years. My reaction to a bee sting is less than what most develop to a mosquito bite. Because if this I never put on the suit and still rarely get stung.

19. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Yankee, don't hardly feel lonely. year before last I was attempting a trap out of a tree so I had the screen all set up the cone installed I couldn't seal the edges of the screening down and the bees were finding their way out around the edges of the screen I was collecting some bees but not enough. I came home from work 1 afternoon to look in see how to trapout was progressing and I was getting rather impatient at this point send that to be found yet another avenue of escape in a moment of disgust I reached up and snatched the screen down...of course no smoke lol I had just come home from work so I was in navy blue coveralls the good thing is the hive was rather weak at this point. In a matter of 5 seconds I had gotten stung 4 stung in the face and 2 more times on my neck as I was back pedaling rapidly away from the Hive.
    Barry

20. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Apis you and Fat Bee Man are hard core.

I hope I can be like you when I grow up.:smile:

I am working towards that though. I have gone from full suit to a light weight jacket. Will try shedding gloves this summer. Not sure I'll ever shed the vale though. I am messing around with them heavy while they are open feeding on the pollen. I figure that's a good way to get comfortable with them. They pay me no attention while they are feeding up here by my house.

These people on You Tube kill me. Nothing, just shorts, t-shirt and flip flops, ripping hives open.
    Was watching Fat Bee Man last night doing hive splits, wearing no protection. The camera man was getting wore
    out though. Funny.