GENERAL BEEKEEPING

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by willow creek apiary, Jun 2, 2009.

1. willow creek apiary

willow creek apiary New Member

HOW MANY FRAMES SHOULD BE FILLED WITH BROOD BOTTON BOX BEFORE ADDING THE NEXT SUPER. ITS BEEN 6 WEEKS AND THEY HAVE 5 FRAMES GOING RATHER WELL. THANK YOU JANIE IN KINGMAN AZ

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Some say 7, I say 8, working on the 9th.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I use the 80 percent drawn rule of thumb

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I assume you are talking about a 2nd brood chamber--or are you talking about a honey super if a brood chamber as stated 7 - 8 frames and place the new brood chamber on top of the first, I personally would take two frames of sealed or mature brood and place them in the center of the new brood chamber and push the remaining frames of the first brood chamber together and insert the two frames of foundation towards the outside and as stated above place the second brood chamber on top of first I would of course also feed them to encourage the drawing of foundation. I prefer hivetop feeders as it draws the bees up through the upper chamber to feed .
    Again just what I would do.
    Barry

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You are correct if it is done before the swarming mood is activated in a hive. It will not work after they have started building swarm cells.

Walt Wright has written extensively about it.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=591

6. willow creek apiary

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFO. GREAT STUFF. I HAD 5 FRAMES ON BOTTON BROOD BOX. THEN ADDED THE 2ND BOX. THIS IS OUR FIRST YEAR AND LEARNING. THEN WE THOUGHT WE SHOULD HAVE A QUEEN EXCLUDED AND WE ADDED THEM TO THE 11 HIVES. THEN WE JUST TOOK THEM OFF FOR WE THINK WE NEEDED MORE BROOD. TODAY I WENT AND TOOK THE LAST QUEEN EX OFF AND WORE ONLY A HOOD. MISTAKE! GOT BITE 2 TIMES SO WENT BACK TO THE CAR AND GOT MY SUIT AND GLOVES ON. AS I SAID BEFORE WE ARE LEARNING THE HARD WAY. I CAN'T WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR TO DOUBLE OUR HIVES. I SURE LOVE THOSE LITTLE CREATURES. THEY ARE ALOT SMARTER THAN US HUMANS.

THANKS AGAIN,

JANIE IN WILLOW CREEK APIARY. KINGMAN AZ

7. willow creek apiary

I WANTED TO ASK A QUESTION. WE WERE WATCHING OUR BEE'S LAST NIGHT AND A BEE CAME OUT OF THE HIVE AND DROP A LARVA OUT AND IT WAS ALL WHITE AND YOU COULD SEE IT'S LITTLE BLACK SPECK FOR THE EYES. WHY WOULD THEY HAVE DONE THIS?

JANIE IN KINGMAN AZ WILLOW CREEK APIARY.

8. willow creek apiary

AS WE WATCHED OUR BEE'S THEY DID NOT HAVE POLLEN ON THEIR LEGS. SHOULD WE MAYBE FEED THEM SUGAR WATER?

JANIE IN KINGMAN,AZ

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sick larva will be removed from the hive. Also, If you have been in the hive shortly before, you could have damaged some cells, which would cause them to abort those larva.

Janie, please turn your cap lock off. On the internet, it is considered shouting.