General Observations and Some Pictures

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Slowmodem, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

So I went into the hives today to see what was going on. In the swarm hive, I only saw one hive beetle when I picked up the feeder. I don't know if the bees took care of the the rest of them, or if the others are hiding better. There's hardly any drawn comb and no honey, so there's not much for them to do there. But I did take a picture. If you've not seen a beetle next to a bee, you can see here the size difference:

2012-08-15_14-45-10_377b.jpg

I put a couple of beetle jail traps in the hive, so we'll see how they work and if there's any more beetles in there. Also, I ordered some Freeman Beetle Traps for under the hives. So we'll do this again next week to install those.

But the bees looked happy. I spread the frames apart to see if they had started drawing any comb, and they were in the center frames.

2012-08-15_14-48-00_130b.jpg

I didn't see any beetles in the big hive. I did notice that a 10-frame super of capped honey was now a 7-frame super of partially capped honey. I guess they've been living off of it somewhat. I had a feeling that they might need it. That's why I didn't harvest it. I'm hoping they will refill things if we get a fall flow. (I wish it would hurry up!).

I took a picture of a drone larvae between levels because it had a mite on it. It was the only mite I noticed. I will do a mite count later this fall and see if they need treatment. I know looking at drones isn't an accurate count, but only seeing one mite was encouraging. Here's the picture:

2012-08-15_15-02-24_5b.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good pictures. :thumbsup: