Germinating Redbud Seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by dr.buzz, Jun 6, 2012.

1. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

I haven't had any success germinating redbud tree seeds. I wonder if they will germinate if I get the seeds out of the pods now, when the pods are green and the seeds have not yet developed that hard covering. Has anyone ever done this?

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Come to think of it, I've never had any luck germinating them either, and I've tried a time or 2. Some seeds have to be eaten by a bird, or go through an acid bath, before they will germinate. This is definitely NOT the case with most tree seeds, but might be for redbud. I think that a green seed would not be mature enough to germinate.

What I do for bluebonnet seeds is to nick them with scissors. Might work on redbud.

Gypsi

3. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Yeah, I've boiled them for a minute, I've sanded them with sandpaper, I've done different stuff and had no success. I've dug up seedlings that are still alive and growing, but nothing from the seeds.....

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Have you tried freezing them?

5. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

6. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

No, the seeds I collected had already gone through at least one Winter, as the pods were old and brown and were on the ground. I did that thing where you boil them for a minute and soak them in green tea and then put them in damp paper towels in a baggie, but the germination time is so long, like Crackerbee mentioned, that mold set in eventually. I tried mixing a bit of bleach with water to get the paper towels wet but mold still set in.....then I did the boiling and sanding and just put crumbled and dampened manure in ice cube trays and put seeds in the manure and put everything in an incubator set at 80 degrees or so, and kept it moist and humid for a couple months, still nothing.....

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I've had luck with Texas Mountain Laurels, but I haven't tried Redbuds (around here they're referred to as "deer candy"). :grin: But, I did find this on the web and it seems to be a combination of the ideas presented and what you've done, except all at once:

"Soak seed for a minimum of 24 hours in warm water before stratification. The Seeds need to be stratified before they will germinate. To avoid using up space with a myriad of pots during stratification, place about a tablespoonful of seed-starting mix, (such as Jiffy-mix or Redi-Earth) just moistened (not wet), in a plastic zip-lock bag. Place the bag in the refrigerator (not freezer) for at least 12 weeks, or until you're ready to grow the seedlings. The seeds will germinate at different rates, but most will start to sprout about 2 weeks after you remove them to room temperature. Check the bag frequently and pot up as they germinate. Keep the bag out of the sun or they will cook rather than germinate!"

Here's the web site: http://www.djroger.com/american_redbud_tree1.htm

Walt

8. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Thanks Walt, I'll try that with the hard seeds if I need to, I'm just curious about the young seeds in the green pods that are on the trees now....I'm wondering if they'll be mature enough to germinate before getting that hard covering and needing to be stratified and scarified, etc...Maybe I'll just put the green pods in the fridge for a few weeks and then try to germinate them..........If I get anything to work I'll update the thread.....

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

You could just throw your seeds down in my flower beds.:lol: They seem to magically sprout there! I pull dozens and dozens out every year. Purple smoke tree seedlings too.

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have discovered the magic of germinating redbud seeds. Sunlight and moist area, whether gravel or soil. I was in a backyard where they were literally sprouting all over, on top of gravel paths and everywhere. And I had one sprout in my yard, on its own, on top of a slightly damp gravel/compost pile, in full sun.