Getting bees to the box...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by melrose, Jun 22, 2012.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

After yesterday's events, we noticed bees buzzing around the truck. I assumed they were just hitch hikers. This morning I get up early to take them to the bee yard, more buzzing, on the way out, I look into the mirror and see that the back corner of my truck bed is covered.

Once at the yard I don my suit, and drop the tail gate. Yep, the little buggers were getting out the front door thru a gap that I thought was small enough to NOT let them out.

QUESTION: How do I get these guys back into the box?

What I did: After taking the box out of the truck, I put it back and opened half of the entrance so they can walk back in. I left the truck where it sat and walked home, hoping that by tonight they'll walk back in.

QUESTION: Is there a better way to get them back in the box?

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

A melrose snip: a gap that I thought was small enough to NOT let them out.
    gunsmiths reply: :rolling: I brought 3 nucs installed in 10 frame boxes home in the back of our SUV last month. I had wood framed moving screens installed with wood screws on the top and at the entrance. There were NO gaps. I still had to stop 3 times in 145 miles to let bees out of the car, 4 or 5 bees each time.

I would put the box on a hive stand as close to the truck as I could get it, but not actually in the truck bed.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would back the truck up to the hive stand and place the box on the stand. Then I would scoop bees and place them at the entrance. After most of them had been moved, I would carefully check the remainder for a queen. If no queen, I would brush the rest of them out the back of the truck and drive away.

4. melrose

melrose New Member

Funny, I started that way.... the hive on blocks near the truck, the I remembered reading that alot of folks talk about the bees walking to the hive rather than flying, so I put the box back in the truck and placed a ramp up to the landing board. I plan on going back after dark to see if they've ventured back in. If so, I'll screen the entrance and move them to their new location and place a tree branch in front for their morning flights.

Thanks for the inputs...

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The walking bit is for a trap out where they can smell their mother hive and don't want to leave it. Throw them into the air or on the ground in your beeyard and they will enter the nearest hive, whether it be 10 inches or a hundred feet.

6. melrose

melrose New Member

I didn't know that, thanks